1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

North house wall

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by rosietutu, Jun 15, 2005.

1. rosietutu

rosietutu Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +434
    The side of my house faces north there are no windows its just a very large bare wall, looking at it yesterday decided to grow something up it any suggestions please?

2. lynne

lynne Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    madame alfred carriere roses - can't be beaten for a north facing wall.
    They're repeating flowering, fragrant white blooms and semi evergreen. The downside is that they are prone to mildew and black spot, but these can be easily controlled with roseclear, or the like.
    they're great!

3. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    I love to see houses covered in red leafed ivy. I'd have some myself but haven't got a bare wall.

[ 15. June 2005, 10:41 PM: Message edited by: michaelmasdaisy ]

4. rosietutu

rosietutu Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +434
    I have got Madame Alfred Carriere I planted up the garden wall last Oct and it is looking good.
    What I did not explain is there is a slabbed path with only a few inches in which to plant something I did wonder about a Quinguefolia,
    Virginian creeper any body got any comments.

5. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    :D I have a hydrangea petiolaris on my north wall, it is quite slow growing but I keep it shaped anyway it has the pretty lace cap flowers which are out now. :D

6. JoMack

JoMack Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hia, I was going to suggest Virginia Creeper or Clematis Montana both will at least cover it fairly quickly. I may be wrong but I think Virginia Creeper will grow without a trellis or support and will give year round colour.
    Jo Mack

7. dalbuie

dalbuie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I also have Hydrangea Petiolaris growing very well on my north wall looking very pretty at the moment.

-----------------------------
    I love cats- MEEOW!

8. Mini

Mini Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm not an expert but I looked up in a book I have which suggests climbers for different aspect walls.

Besides different clematis and roses there are five suggestions with detailed descriptions.

Here goes, I'll give you the names and brief comment. If you want me to copy the whole paragraph let me know its not a problem.

BERBERIDOPSIS CORALLINA - unusual, not often seen, needs acid soil that doesn't dry out and a mild sheltered garden. Evergreen, slow growing, heart shaped leaves and red dangling flowers in late summer.

HYDRANGEA ANOMALA SUBSP. PETIOLARIS - good anywhere plant, white flowers in July, golden leaf tints in autumn. Clings to wall with aerial roots, not good if dodgy mortar! Slow to start flowering.

AKEBIA QUINATA - semi evergreen, early spring dusky maroon flowers, spicily aromatic, followed by sausage shaped purple seed pods.

SCHIZOPHRAGMA INTEGRIFOLIUM - flashy cousin of the climbing hydrangea, July flowers up to 1ft across and long, decorative bracts.

PARTHENOCISSUS HENRYANA - Chinese Virginia creeper. Smaller (32 x 6ft) and slower than its cousin. Generally more colourful, leaves are tinged pink with silvery midribs all summer and looks slightly variagated, turns scarlet in autumn.

As I said no direct experience of any of the above but recommended by my book, look them up and see what you think.

Hope this has helped and not confused!

Mini

9. wineandchoc

wineandchoc Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    The schizophragma is beautiful, I have it on a cool wall, I also have hydrangea petiolaris on a north wall. When they get established (they are slow to get going) you can give them one of the smaller clematis varieties for extra interest. An alpina would be lovely

10. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    viginia creeper is decidious although the leaves do look brilliant before they fall

11. rosietutu

rosietutu Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +434
    Umm thank you all for the suggestions, I think I may go for the Virginia Creeper as it need no trellis or anything pity the leaves fall off ...I wonder if I plant Ivy as well..... :rolleyes:

12. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Rosie - have a look at this link (it is a very vigourous climber, as is Ivy)
    http://www.rhs.org.uk/rhsplantselector/plantdetail.aspx?plantid=42649
    I have an east facing wall (which is very shady) with Hydrangea anomala ssp. petiolaris - it's self clinging and has lovely white flowers, a bit slow as Wine & choc says but not as thuggish as ivy or parthenocissus. I also have a variegated ivy (canary island) which I have to keep on top of and a Rambling Rector rose growing through this (which I cut back every 3 years as its a bully, but does hold its own against the ivy) - suggest if you go for a rose, have a climber rather than a rambler such as New Dawn, Mermaid or Zephrine Drouhin
    All the ones Mini reccommended are excellent for shade - I have just used the Akebia (not as scented as some books would suggest!)& Berberidopsis in a planting scheme & they are lovely