1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

North Korea vs US comedy cyber war

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by clueless1, Dec 28, 2014.

1. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    I'm sure we've all heard the news. Sony wanted to release a comedy film where part of the story was about the assassination of that lad that runs North Korea. Hackers, traced to North Korea, hacked Sony. President Obama very publicly blamed North Korea. Then hours later, North Korea loses all its internet for several hours. All of it. Totally without interweb. Then within a day or so of that, two very huge US based web services get hacked and go off line. Then that North Korean lad calls Obama a monkey, and then within hours, North Korea loses all its internet and most of its mobile phone network for several hours.

Both sides (US and North Korea) deny any state sanctioned involvement.

Does anyone else find it highly entertaining, or is it just me?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +23,089
      It would be funny were it not for the life that millions of N.Koreans live. The man is a total nut job!

• Agree Agree x 3
      • clueless1

Ratings:
        +19,596
        The ordinary people of North Korea will just believe that their nation holds the moral high ground though, because they are totally brainwashed. Unless it is I that is brainwashed to believe that, which is equally possible.

• longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +23,089
        I'm not sure that they're brainwashed. On the whole they're aware of what goes on in the wider world - some buy into the slur of decadence whilst others are just too hungry, cold and scared to offer any dissent.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +4,087
          Kim Jong-Un is a despotic nutjob. Anybody who crosses him (or even if he believes they have) is executed, sometimes in horrible ways. It's probably why the family have held absolute power for so long. I can't wait for the day that he's brought down to earth with a bang, but I don't think it will be any time soon.

It's no surprise that Russia and China support him but even China is being less supportive than they once were. Once he loses their support, it'll be interesting to see what happens.

If he thinks he can take on the USA though, he's got a shock coming.

• Like Like x 2
          • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +23,089
            Possibly in the form of a bang.
            The biggest danger to Kim jong Un is himself. There cannot possibly be any sense of trust at the top (even in his inner circle) and all the CIA need for an assassination plan to be enacted is for an acceptable candidate to step forward from this bunch of cronies.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
            Ratings:
            +86,035
            The bloke may well be a nutter, best got rid of, but I bet a replacement is waiting in the wings.

I find it a bit strange that Sony decided to make a so called, comedy film, about assassination of a current head of state.:scratch:

Just shows how short of original plots these dopey film makers are these days.

• clueless1

Ratings:
            +19,596
            Without knowing the full plot, it sounds like it could be funny to me. It's not even an original concept. Remember Johnny English? That was a comedy with a plot that involved an attempt to oust our queen, make a french business man our monarch, and turn the whole of the British mainland into a prison. I laughed at that.

Or what about the several comedy films, including one of the Hot Shots films, that feature featured plots to get rid of then current heads of state. I'm chuckling to myself now as I remember a scene where colonel Gadaffi (or was it Saddam Hussain) was sunbathing by his private pool, on a lounger, cocktail in hand, when suddenly a bomb lands in his lap and winds him.

A funny little man that keeps threatening to nuke the US mainland when his people couldn't even get a long range missile to work in a test, and who calls Obama a monkey is just setting himself up to be laughed at surely?

• Agree Agree x 1
            • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +23,089
              I would also wager that there is a general waiting in the wings who would open up to the rest of world if his despotic leader was offed somehow.

It's called satire which the greats of British comedy (Cleese, Frost, Cook, Rushton and Punt and Dennis) do so very well. Admittedly it is a new concept for Hollywood.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
              Ratings:
              +86,035
              I'm not well up on films, as you can probably tell.
              Especially the so called comedies they seem to churn out by the hundreds these days.

So he called Obama a monkey?
              not much in the way of retaliation really, was it?

I think, personally, after all the cock ups with getting involved in the middle east, its best to just ignore these kind of countries and let them get on with it.
              The West has enough hassle without starting another stand off.
              Anyway, aint Sony Japanese?

• longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +23,089
              When I look at my DVD collection very few of them are comedies. Most film-makers struggle to maintain a good level of humour for 90 minutes or more. For me the golden age of cinema comedy was the period of the Ealing comedies. Over the years since there has been some good comedy films (The Big Lebowski, O Brother Where Art Thou, Withnail & I, Clerks, The Fisher King, Men Who Stare At Goats are a few that spring to mind) but as you say most modern comedy is unoriginal and unfunny.

• Like Like x 1