1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

North-west wall ideas

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Amanensia, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Amanensia

Amanensia Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi again,

We've got a north-west facing wall on our house, which has a small bed for part of its length, about eight feet long by nine inches wide. The driveway runs past this bed. It gets some reasonable sun for part of the afternoon but is definitely "part shade."

Ideally, I'd like some ground cover, and a flowering climber to cover the wall to a height of about ten feet.

I'm thinking of a climbing rose - perhaps Gloire de Dijon - underplanted by periwinkles. I understand periwinkles can be a bit invasive but it's a very isolated bed, due to the driveway.

Does this sound reasonable, or might the bed be too small to support a climber? Any other ideas?

Many thanks :)

2. Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
    Ratings:
    +31,177
    Will a rose not impede vehicle access Amanensia? A piccie always helps members to give good advice ,
    Jenny

• Like Like x 1
    • Amanensia

Amanensia Gardener

Ratings:
      +15
      A good question! How far out from the wall will it come? Up to a couple of feet should be fine. I'll grab a pic when I get five minutes...

• stephenprudence

stephenprudence GC Weather Guru

General Asisstant (for now), and full time immatur
      Ratings:
      +2,368
      do you have any cover or is it open to the elements?

Ive recently done the same thing you see, and found that a car port and a bed next to the drive create an amazing microclimate, so Ive gone with this..
      DSCF3025.JPG

DSCF3026.JPG

Its a but scruffy and the moment, ill get better photos after Ive finished dinner.

• Amanensia

Amanensia Gardener

Ratings:
      +15
      That's rather pretty, indeed. I don't have the depth for the trellis, I'll have to use wires. Here's a picture of the site at the moment. It's somewhat sheltered, due to the gate, which is more of a windbreak than it appears. My main concern is the rather tiny depth meaning that there won't be a lot of root space.

IMG_3324.JPG

• stephenprudence

Ratings:
      +2,368
      oh yes, it's fairly thin layer, the white wall should help though.

For climbers, anything like Lonicera henryi, (evergreen honeysuckle), Clematis armandii, Jasminum officinale, maybe Trachelospermum jasminoides.. Solanum crispum, wide ranges of Clematis perhaps? All good on a northwest wall.

Perhaps some of the big leaved Ivys?

• stephenprudence

Ratings:
      +2,368
      Here is my border, but it's bigger like you say and has more depth.

DSCF3026 (2).JPG

DSCF3027 (2).JPG

How about if you plant something in the larger box border you have on the right of the photo and train it to climb over that wall at the back, this is conceivable.

• Like Like x 1
      • Amanensia

Amanensia Gardener

Ratings:
        +15
        Ah, it's the empty border in the middle of the photo I was talking about - is that the one you mean? There's no border to the right of the gate (well, not until you get to the currently skeletal wisteria you can see around the corner.)

It just occured to me that I might be being a shade misleading - when I say I'm concerned about depth, I mean the size of the border from the wall to the driveway, not the physical depth of soil beneath ground level, which is I think reasonably substantial.

• stephenprudence

Ratings:
        +2,368
        oh well I wouldn't worry about that, I'm not sure that you'll be able to get many groundcover plants (if any) in there, but you will be able to get a climber in there fairly easily.. and then maybe you can put some bedding plants in or something?

• Like Like x 1
        • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
          +12,667
          Climbing Hydrangea petiolaris? I grew one on a North wall in a not-huge pot at a previous house (if you are worried about the soil in the border)

• Like Like x 1
          • Amanensia

Amanensia Gardener

Ratings:
            +15
            Ah, I hadn't thought of hydrangea. Toss-up between that and an appropriate rose, I think. Thanks!

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
            +12,667
            Not sure that Gloire de Dijon will be comfortable on a shaded wall? But I'm no expert ...