Not getting to eat my pears!

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by nikirushka, Oct 18, 2015.

1. nikirushka

nikirushka Gardener

Ratings:
    +93
    For the second year, my conference pears have gone off before they've even ripened, so I haven't been able to enjoy them.

Does the banana trick work with pears like it does for tomatoes? I would like to think I might get to enjoy next year's crop!

2. Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Nikirushka,

I nay be being a bit thick here. But what do you mean by " gone off before they've even ripened ".

I've always believed that fruit that has gone off is over ripened. I.E. it's past its best.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +117,313
      Yes, that puzzles me as well (not that I like agreeing with Anthony :heehee:).

We have Conference pears, my favourite, and ours are still doing well on the tree. I just pick a carrier bag full each week and we eat our way through them.

The ones on the tree tend to be fine even when left a long time. Unlike our Williams pears that all seem to ripen within a couple of weeks of each other and then drop off the tree if they're not picked. :doh:

Conference are edible even when they feel really solid so I'm wondering if you're picking them and putting them to one side whilst waiting for them to go soft. With Conference you can wait for ever! (Slight exaggeration :).) By the time they're going soft to the touch, they are starting to go off.

• Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +9,232
      By "gone off"....

Do you mean going brown in the middle, around the core?
      Or, as I suspect, do you mean going brown and soft at the top of the pear, at the base of the stem?

• nikirushka

nikirushka Gardener

Ratings:
      +93
      They are developing pockets of soft, blackening flesh with mouldy bits and are still absolutely rock hard, as if I just picked them off the tree (I picked them a couple of weeks ago). So maybe yes, they are ready just not as I expect them to be!

• nikirushka

nikirushka Gardener

Ratings:
      +93
      This is the last one. The patch at the top on this one is dry but slowly spreading, the others have gone squishy and black in round patches. This one has some give overall but I've taken a chunk out the other side to test it and it's hard and crunchy as hell, not pleasant! pear.jpg

• shiney

Ratings:
      +117,313
      Try eating one of them. As I said, they are sometimes ready for eating whilst still quite hard. :blue thumb:

• shiney

Ratings:
      +117,313
      Our posts crossed :noidea:

That problem at the top is sometimes because of windrock on the stalk (a physical problem) or from too much pressure against the top when picking. Conference pears are expected to be crunchy. I would have expected the skin to be slightly browner (but not much) to be ready for eating.