1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Not Novel, just left overs...Bubble and Squeak

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by tweaky, Aug 29, 2008.

1. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    It's surprizing how a lot of people say..."I've not had that for years." However I was born just after the 2nd world war and it was definitely a 'waste not want not' society. Still make chicken stock out of the bones and giblets when I can get them.

Anyway back to the Bubble and Squeak...traditionally made with left over spud and veg from the day before....still do it that way....cause I am guilty of doing too much spud and veg just so I can make it the day after. Lets face it, the costs are low, even suitable for vegetarians and taste great.

So its left over boiled or mashed spuds, chuck in your left over veg, chop it in the pan..I add diced tomato to it, to moisten it a little. Sometimes finely chopped mushrooms and herbs....just depends on how I feel.

Fry in a non-stick frying pan with a dusting of virgin olive oil spray...if your watching your weight. Brown it one side than flip it over and brown it on the other side.

You end up with a nice crispy exterior and a fluffy interior...only takes a few mins. Serve with anything you want....but I do add tomato sauce, freshly ground sea salt and black pepper corns (or nasturtium seeds) and a drop of vinegar.

Also nice if you spread it about half and inch thick on toast, topping of grated cheese and stick it under the grill until the cheese is melted.

Tis lovely:thumb::thumb::thumb:

2. takemore02withit

takemore02withit Gardener

Ratings:
    +40
    Thats how my mum used to make it Tweaks. Bit of butter in the frying pan and brown it on both sides. Not had it in years. We used to drink the cabbage water too. 02

3. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Drink the cabbage water....erm never done that, usually stick the spud and cabbage or veg water into the chicken bones when boiling up for stock or soup.:thumb:

4. UJH

UJH Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I still make bubble and squeak :thumb: Some good variations there Tweaky. I personally have it with brown sauce (daddies)
    I never drank cabbage water but husband always talks of how he used to drink it as a kid

5. takemore02withit

takemore02withit Gardener

Ratings:
    +40
    I dont think I would do it today, unless it was organic. Mum has some very old fashioned ways and weird tastes. She even admits to liking fennings fever cure when she was a kid. It was a clear liquid I was given as a kid to reduce a fever. I will never forget that taste as long as i live. I thought she was trying to poison me.:eek: 02

6. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Oh gawd, I remember that...yuck, yuck and yuck again.:) The good bad old days yea....:thumb:

7. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Its weird isn't it UJH, who has what sauce with what. I have brown sauce with sausage and mash and onion gravy, bacon butties, beef or steak puddings etc.

Tomato sauce with, fish, chips, bubble and squeak of course. If I am having anything in butter like spuds etc, then again tom sauce. I think its maybe the lighter tasting food I prefer with a lighter tasting sauce...when I use it that is.

I generally don't use any kind of sauce if I am serving something special. Although I use it when making spag bol.:thumb:

Just for a bit of info...Chefs swear by Tomato sauce...it really is good for you. (The famous brand of course)

8. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    it tasted gorgeous-like bonjela tastes abit. Virol too. Famol cough medicine-absolutely disgusting stuff.

9. landlubber

landlubber Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I always make soup from a chicken carcase, using it as a basis for chicken and veg soup or similar. My husband also always cooks too much veg and always uses it up to make Bubble and squeak, which I loathe! We use all our leftovers and make into other recipes, often deliberately cooking too much of something, to ensure we have leftovers for a particular favourite family dish, old fashioned cookings great! Jan

10. Ace of spades

Ace of spades Gardener

Ratings:
    +26
    My wife and her brother say Famel Cough Medicine really worked, 1 spoonfull and you were frightend to cough incase you got more.

11. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I'm with you Jan.:thumb:

12. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,330
    Even when I cook extra veggies so that they will be left over they still get eaten :D.

I remember Fennings and Famel. :eek:

does anyone remember Zam-Buk ointment? Apparently it is still being made.

13. landlubber

landlubber Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Yep! I remember Zambuk, can't remember what it was for though!!! What about ZUBES? Jan