1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Not too impressed with Van Meuwen

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by silu, Dec 15, 2015.

1. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    Having run my own mail order business I know how important repeat business is and therefore you should always keep your customers happy whenever possible!
    Ages ago I ordered 6 Agapanthus "corms".
    I got notification from Van that the corms had eventually been dispatched on 30/11/2015. Days pass and not a sign. On 9th Dec I send them an email to ask about my order, no response, so today I phone them.
    The customer service person was "ok" but not exactly sounding bothered. Sure enough the tracking method they use shows the order is still at a depot somewhere and no explanation as to why.
    I asked if they can send replacements as the ones despatched might be in a hell of a mess by now, having been in transit for over a fortnight. Van are evidently out of stock, great. I asked if they had any other variety of Agapanthus, no.
    Upshot is that I'm getting a refund of what I paid and that's it. I ordered the corms in July! They better refund my money PDQ or I'll be back on to give them hell.
    It's that old saying of a company shows how good or bad it is when things go wrong. Unless they do another ridiculously good special offer where I can get stuff for buttons I won't be ordering from them again.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • wrinkly1

wrinkly1 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +19
      i was thinking of ordering my strawberry plants off this site. i/ll try elsewhere methinks. cheers wrinkly1

• Informative Informative x 1
      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +46,155
        Van Meuwen are owned by Thompson & Morgan, who as you know, don't have a very good customer service reputation. It's when things goes wrong that they don't step up to the mark.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +5,090
          Maybe customer services are still in a sulk from the debacle a few months back when we gave them a right spanking with multiple near free orders. I did particularly well out of it i must say ;)

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
          +28,997
          Yes, I'd be really embarrassed if demanding a refund for dodgy stuff that cost me absolutely nothing.

Still no reason for sending duff stuff out.

• Agree Agree x 1
          • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +16,246
            Touch wood , I have never had a disaster on a plant order. Not so much down to my "pro" picking skills , but taking in every bit of advice on here I got some really good tips. As a rule of thumb big companies don't seem to perform very well . So I will stick with getting most off my seeds on Ebay , not one problem . And my plugs from Brookside. Also the nurseries in my locale are really really good .
            Got an awful feeling I have tempted fate with this post , hopefully everything won't go belly up for 2016 !:mad::snork: hmmm still snorkless !

• Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            Hi Harry,

Have you thought about getting a :snork: transplant ?
            :roflol:

• Funny Funny x 1
            • NCFCcrazy

NCFCcrazy Super Gardener

Bored office monkey
              Ratings:
              +1,051
              I have only used VM once and to say I was disappointed was an understatement. I havent found any of the mail order companies to be great. I do quite like JParkers for bulbs, but thats about it, and only ones in their special offers section.

• Ian Taylor

Ian Taylor Total Gardener

Maintenance Manager, Oddfellows on the Park.
              Ratings:
              +2,751
              I have ordered from VM in the past, I ordered 2 Clematis repans at a good price, so I ordered them, this was in March, I hadn't recieved them by July I phoned up and cancelled the order got a full refund, 2 weeks later they arrived result, they were on the small side but with TLC they are ok.