1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Nothing grows here!.

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by thatfatbloke, Apr 28, 2013.

1. thatfatbloke

thatfatbloke Apprentice Gardener

HGV Driver
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi - I have quite a large elderberry tree at the bottom of my garden which obviously creates a lot of shade in summer. However,I would like to grow something under it, but even the Russian Vine gave up last year!. I would like an evergreen shrub which has nice smelly flowers (next to a patio) that grows very quickly (no patience),by the four feet high west(ish) facing wall. It's more for privacy than anything else.so needs to be quite bushy too. Any ideas would be most appreciated. Thanks.

2. kindredspirit

kindredspirit Gardening around a big Puddle. :)

Retired.
    Ratings:
    +4,586
    Vibernum Tinus ticks all the boxes except for the quickly growing bit.

• Like Like x 1
    • stephenprudence

stephenprudence GC Weather Guru

General Asisstant (for now), and full time immatur
      Ratings:
      +2,368
      In my experience Viburnum tinus grows rather quickly, it's bit of a thug around these parts!

Get a Cytisus racemosus - it will grow well in eastbourne, fragrant bright yellow flowers in Spring, fast growing and evergreen foliage..

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
      • Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
        +7,635
        Hi,
        Rosa Rugosa is impossible to kill and whilst not evergreen, will provide almost year- round interest. Pruning is not necessary, the flowers have incredible scent and the hips provide a good source of tickling powder for kids.

If the tree has large root system, maybe you could grow some shrubs in large containers?

Many ferns will love a place under the tree. Even though you will not get flowers, ferns are well worth growing. ** warning** some people get addicted to them :hapydancsmil:

You can plop some bluebell bulbs in between, and sometimes lily of the valley likes the soil and becomes a true rambler. Many bulbs tolerate the conditions under a tree, my favourites are small Fritillarias and the bluebells.

Hardy Geraniums are also worth trying, and if you are lucky, cyclamen might like the place.

When planting under a tree, it's worth digging as big hole as possible, add a lot of compost and then just hope that the roots of the plant colonise the new soil before the roots of the tree find it. Now is just the right time to buy some robust ferns, Morrisons has great range for £2 each. I bought 3 unknown ones last Sunday :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
        • merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +4,087
          I planted a Viburnum Tinus under an Elderberry in 2011 and it's hardly grown at all. It's in a north west facing border though so gets no direct sun until late afternoon/early evening.

Elaeagnus x ebbingei grows quickly and has tiny scented flowers in Autumn.

It may not be the shade that's the problem - it could be that the root system of the tree is taking up all the nutrients/water so that whatever you plant won't grow well unless given some extra tlc :)