1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

NOVICE gardener - advice please

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by ludmilla, Feb 12, 2013.

1. ludmilla

ludmilla Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I live in north wales on the side of a mountain. It rains a lot. We don't get much direct sunshine, even on summer days as there are lots trees around our house (not sure what next year will bring with Ash etc). I am a complete novice gardener, but would love to grow, basil, french beans, tomatoes, courgettes, chicory, lettuce. Someone said the only way to achieve this would be to grow in a greenhouse.

I would really appreciate any thoughts you might have.

Regards

Ludmilla

2. "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +31,885
    Welcome to GC, Ludmilla :sign0016:

I do not feel experienced enough, at this stage, to offer you advice; but I do know this is the right place to come and more experienced gardeners will be able to offer you their wisdom and thoughts.

Which aspect does your garden favour? (I mean, does it face East, West, South, or North?) Which aspect is your mountain? Which trees encompass your garden? (You mention Ash, but are there others?). The answer to these questions will depend on the quality of advice you may be given :)

3. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,595
    Hello and welcome Ludmilla.

I think the advice you've been given about needing a greenhouse for the crops you want to grow is about right, though not strictly necessary. Certainly basil is far to soft for outdoors in my opinion. If the cold doesn't get it, then the slugs, snails and aphids will, and if they don't, then the rain and wind will just batter it down. It has to be the single softest plant I've ever known. Easy to look after indoors though on a sunny window.

I'm sure others will be along to offer advice on the other plants soon enough.

4. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Welcome to Gardeners Corner:sign0016:

Been there, done that i'm afraid.

Used to try to grow veg in Blaenau Ffesteringhog. The sun rose from behind one mountain at 10.30 & set behind the other at 2.30.

What the slugs didn't eat, the sheep would finish off as the were hurled into my garden by the sheepherds who considered gardens as "A wicked waste of grazing"

You need a polytunnel:dbgrtmb:

5. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,062
    Hi ludmilla & welcome to the forum :)

French beans, courgettes and lettuce will grow better outside rather than in a greenhouse. For tomatoes you will stand a better chance growing in a greenhouse, same for basil (although I just grow a pot on the kitchen windowsill like clueless1 says). My neighbour grows Basil in a container on his patio but it takes a long time to grow from seed and really dislikes the cold. I tried growing chicory once outside and it was a failure, so I can't help you with that one.