1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Novice Gardener assistance!

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Kevin McKenna, Apr 26, 2020.

1. Kevin McKenna

Kevin McKenna Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi All

new member and have recently moved house that has a large garden. Unfortunately the grass is very mossy and weedy.

I put down some evergreen 4 in 1 on Thursday but not sure if the spreader was working correctly and caught it all. Would you suggest I wait the 3 months and reapply it to ensure I don’t double up on anything and kill the grass?

thanks

2. Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
    Ratings:
    +44,649
    Hi @Kevin McKenna and welcome to the forums
    I'd wait a bit, but what does it say on the box that it's in?

The trouble with putting things on lawns it's bound to overlap places and it will burn it,but it should recover.:)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  3. Kevin McKenna

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks @Logan

just says leave 3 months between spreads. I think I will leave it and see and then do it again!

maybe buy a decent spreader this time.

• Like Like x 1
    • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,203
      Hi,

Would suggest you do not re-apply as its easy enough to burn the grass with just one application if its not spread evenly.

The reason its not having any effect is probably becasue its dry, you need some light rain or a hose with a 'shower' gun to release the contents of the pellets.
      Not too much or too heavy watering otherwise you can wash the pellets into one area.

Then it may take a day or two for the moss to turn black and some further days for the weed to show any signs of dying, some may appear to be growing faster and more upright, but thats the way some lawn weed killers work.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Kevin McKenna

Ratings:
        +2

Thanks @ricky101

I watered the garden yesterday morning so hopefully that helps.

just have a funny feeling the spreader was jammed but I will wait just in case.

hopefully within the next week or 2 it will start to show through

• Like Like x 1
        • Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
          Ratings:
          +44,649
          I agree.

• Kevin McKenna

Ratings:
          +2
          Thanks everyone

As expected only parts of the moss have turned black as hasn’t spread right.

wouod you still scarify the black moss and reapply rest in 3 months?

kevin

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +4,203
          Would suggest you wait a bit longer for the treatment to keep on working.

When the weather /lawn is dryer, scarifying will remove lots of moss, dead or alive, but do not overdo it or you just end up with too many bald areas.

You can use a hand lawn rake if its a small area, it can be hard work ! or an electric rake for bigger areas. ( hireable)

Still would not treat the lawn for the required 3 months, though by then the grass will probably be out competing the moss so there will be no need.

Because of the problems you have had with the dry pellets, we prefer to use liquid lawn feed and weed treatments, much easier to apply evenly and little risk of over dosing.

If using some of the bottles of ready to use hand sprayers for spot weed treatment, be very careful, as the instructions often say spray just once, too much and you can burn the surrounding grass as well.

• Agree Agree x 1