Numex Twilight Chilli

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Jimmybob, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Jimmybob

Jimmybob Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey,

I have been growing some Numex Twilight Chilli's since February (when they were sown).

Since then, they have been repotted and are currently about 30cm high, 20cm wide. At present all 3 are flowering.

The problem I am having is pollination. As they are inside, there are no insects to do this for me. As a result I have resorted to using a cotton bud to self-pollinate. However, so far I have had no success. Every flower has fallen off (stem included) without fruiting.

What would you recommend? I am not overwatering as the soil is medium dry, all leaves and stems are dark green and strong. Perhaps I should use a brush instead?

In addition, I read that flower drop is not unusual when the plant first begins to flower. Is this true? I don't want to put a lot of love and attention into these chilis and end up with a nice looking plant with no fruit :P

Many thanks for your replies!

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +45,618
    Hi JimmyBob, just give them a little time, you don't need to be too careful when trying to help them pollinate, give the plant a little shake and you can use you finger to quickly touch each flower. Flower drop at first is not unusual, you don't say if you have them in full sunlight (which they like) and are they on a windowsill or greenhouse? They do like high humidity so if on a windowsill spray with water as often as you can or stand a gravel tray filled with water nearby will help.

3. Jimmybob

Jimmybob Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi JWK, thanks for your hasty reply. Yes they are in full sunligh (about 7 hours per day) and are sat on a windowsill. I will try lightly spraying as you suggested.

Thanks!

4. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Hi Jimmybob, if your chillies are sitting on the windowsill in full sunlight the flowers are frying. That's why they're just dropping off.
    Move the chillies out of direct sun for a few days, give them a daily spray with water if you can, and I think you'll see the chillies forming.
    You don't have to worry about pollinating them, just give the plants a little tap, they do the job themselves.