Nursery bed

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Igrowfromseed, Apr 29, 2018.

1. Igrowfromseed

Igrowfromseed Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +17
    Finally decided to put a side an area of my vegetable garden for growing on all those perennials I've grown from seed. The intention being to promote the best to the flower garden. Any suggestions for managing the nursery bed? Here is the area I've chosen which is south facing with nursery bed.jpg acid well drained soil

• Like Like x 2
    • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,184
      Hi,

Its a good idea to have some small area for growing on such plants, I will be filling mine up with some primrose and polyanthus once they finish flowering and can be divided up to grown on ready for next autumn.

That brick wall looks perfect for some fan trained fruit bushes, as soon as the weathers better I'll be planting a Loganberry against my wall.

• Like Like x 1
      • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
        Ratings:
        +20,953
        I have a space outside the greenhouse that gets used as a nursery bed for growing on seedlings, hardening things off, standing area and holding area. Being just outside the greenhouse it gets seen every day in spring and summer.

• Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
        +17,486
        Igrowfromseed, good morning:)

I have a sort of nursery bed behind my gh for divided daffs and primulas. I also have a space elsewhere for potted up divided plants. Pretty important to allow space for this :)

You asked for suggestions on managing it....simply that the area is kept weed free as much as possible, a watch is kept out for pests (slugs etc) and plants are kept watered and fed. A "nursery" bed so look after the plants in it :)

• Igrowfromseed

Igrowfromseed Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +17
        Thanks for the replies
        Fruit trees would do well against that wall but I'm banned at the moment from putting any more in as I already have a wooden fence covered in cordons

Fence with fruit trees.jpg

When managing the nursery bed are you strict with yourself in removing plants that aren't up-to-the mark? I was planning on not over enriching the soil of the nursery bed to that plants that do well in the bed should do equally well in the garden.

• Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
        +17,486
        Nice to see the use of cordons Igrowfromseed :)
        Oh yes, I am ruthless in discarding poor plants etc., keeping nothing but the best:)

• Friendly Friendly x 1