1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Oak sapling with brown leaves at the top

Discussion in 'Trees' started by TheMadHedger, May 29, 2021.

1. TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    There's an oak sapling on my property which is about seven feet tall, I grew it from an acorn that I found. I've recently noticed that the tiny unfurling leaves at about the top two feet are very brown from the tips to around half way down each leaf.

The leaves on the lower five feet of the sapling are fine, they are nice and large and looking healthy.

I suspect that frost got to the tiny leaves at the top but kind of surprised that the lower leaves are unaffected.

Or are there any other possible causes?

The weather has been wet lately so no problems with water but of course it was dry in April. Very windy though at times and the sapling is exposed to the south.

2. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +21,271
    @TheMadHedger
    I think it could well be the cold drying winds we had in April, early May. When they are unfurling the leaves are at their most delicate. Lower down possibly a bit more sheltered or perhaps the leaves had unfurled before the cold winds.
    My camphor tree has had similar problems this spring, though I was much cheered by the sight of little green/white shoots at the tips. The mature leaves are pretty much unscathed.

3. TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    Thanks, that does seem likely. The sapling is close to a hedge to the north that runs east to west and which is open to the south, the northerly winds will have affected the top of the sapling but not the middle and the base.

Will the tiny leaves be okay do you think? As in will they grow? (but of course they will remain damaged).

Is the sapling going to have this problem every year with drying winds or is it something that only happens with very young saplings? Maybe maturer saplings don't have such delicate leaves?

I was also a bit concerned if the growing tip was also affected but it's hard to be certain. Have to wait and see what happens.

Pleased to hear that your camphor tree seems to be recovering. :)