1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

October Garden Colour

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Fran, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Whilst the asters, fuchsias, rudbeckia and dahlias are still in full flower, consider the following three for additional autumn colour in the garden

[​IMG]

Calendula - the pot marigold. Its a robust annual, that germinates in the late summer and suddenly appears in the autumn. Great warm colour and fascinating seeds - either let it self seed, or collect and scatter in the spring.Tolerant of different soil types but needs sun

[​IMG]

Sedum, otherwise known as the ice plant - a magnet for butterfly's and there are different flower and leaf colours. Hardy as old boots, tolerant of all soil types but needs sun, and well worth garden space.

[​IMG]

Then there's the chrysanthamums - the range is huge from single flowers to huge domes of petals.Again hardy - but will need staking cos the heads get very heavy in rain. Will flower until the frosts. Tolerant of soil - and will tolerate dappled shade but prefers some sun

I hope more members can add to this post to increase the ideas available

2. brazil

brazil Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    my morning glory,perrenial helianthus, salvia patens are in full flower your plants look lovely a tip when growing sedum is givve them a cut back in may about 2/3rds then you get a complete ball of flower it works great :D :D

3. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Sad that morning glory and salvia patens are not hardy - but I love both they are gorgeous flowers. Thank you for the tip on sedums - I will give that a whirl next May.

4. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    A bit bedraggled after all the recent rain but these late sown Schizanthus pinnatus 'Angel's Wings' are still being worked by the bees.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There's nothing like a bit of October rain to make the fungus pop up everywhere. :cool:

[​IMG]

An old fashioned favourite but Amaranthus caudatus (Love-lies bleeding) has beautiful ropes of long lasting bloom.

[​IMG]

and I know I sneeked a Nerine in September, but these are too good not to have in October as well! :D

[​IMG]

Edit: I originally had the Schizanthus as Linaria - sorry for any confusion.

[ 02. November 2005, 05:41 PM: Message edited by: frogesque ]

5. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Lovely - any special requirments for the non fungal flowers :D

6. petal

petal Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    What a brilliant picture of the bee in flight Frogesque and such an appropriate plant for it to be approaching.

7. Mini

Mini Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    What beautiful flowers!

Moved house beg Sept and new flowers keep popping up, just identified one as sedum from your pic.

Thanks, will keep looking and hopefully identify some more.

Amanda