1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Odd phone call today.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Jazmine, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Jazmine

Jazmine happy laydee

Retired-got my bus pass and loving it!
    Ratings:
    +694
    I had a strange call today. OH was out so I had to take it.

The caller called me by name and said My IP address was showing red meaning my computer was downloading cr*p basically. I was a bit alarmed but because he had my name and telephone number I listened for a moment. He made it all sound like I was in trouble and said he would talk me through what to do.

At this point I politely told him no and said my son worked in computers and he would check it for me.
    I guess he was trying to sell me some sort of protection? I am heartily sick of these people trying to gain our trust :mad::mad::mad:
    Has anyone else experienced this?

2. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    Hi Jazmine, it's just a variation of the "I work for Micro Soft and you've got trouble with your computer" scam. You were right to say no to him. He would have got you to hand over control of your computer to him and at best ghosted up some supposed problems which, for a fee, he would have got "rid" of them. At worst they would have stolen your card details and inserted a trojan or malicious virus.
    I have a answering machine, and I use it:cool: I never pick up the phone until I hear the voice and recognise it or decided I want to speak to the person and use it as a firewall between the scammers, cold callers etc, and me. I find it so less stressful than picking up the phone to find some idiot trying to tell me there's something wrong with my computer and wanting money for resolving it. I don't think so!:mad:

There are so many computer related scams out there now you do have to be careful all the time. A neighbour of mine has not kept up his Anti-virus program [silly boy] and now he's paying the price because he's now got a ransom virus on it which won't let him operate his computer properly until he pays a fee - so now he's struggling to get rid of the virus.:cry3:

3. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    Glad you did the right thing Jazmine

4. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Jazmine - yes its another scam. They have no idea even if you have a computer. I am waiting for a call like that, and I am going to tell him how clever he is and how useful his advice is. And after 10 minutes of wasting his time, I will tell him that I don't have a computer - does that mean I should go out and buy one.

Armandii - I have had a couple of bits of malware that my anti-virus hasn't managed to deal with. Tell your neighbour to Google the name of the virus, and look at several sites to rule out the owners of the virus wanting to charge you. The best advice is usually on forums as they aren't trying to sell anything. There is loads of freeware out there that can deal with these things - but they are specific and you need the right one.

Having got a possible tracking cookie that kept reinstalling itself. I removed all my cookies, and then set my options to request permission every time to save a cookie. I am absolutely appauled at how many third party cookies try to get onto your machine - even from supposedly reputable sites.

5. ARMANDII

Ratings:
    +100,836
    You're right, Pete, there's a lot of sites out there dropping cookies on you like it's gone out of fashion! I don't object to the principle of cookies, so long as they're beneficial to me as well the the site. But I would like the option of having them in my computer and being asked if I want them, after all you don't let every body through your front door so why should it be different with the front door/back door of your computer.:scratch:

The virus my neighbour is unfortunate and silly enough to get is "MS Tools" which is a try at being a Microsoft tool - which it ain't. It wouldn't let him get on the Net so until I talked to him he was stymied. But on talking to him it appears it's only on the account files of his wife but since he has been using his wife's account rather than his own he's in the Dog House! So hopefully, he's going to try to download the free AVG and other recommended anti-virus/anti spyware programs and try to run them through the system.:help: The other alternative is to use another computer to download and burn the programs onto a disc and then run the disc on the sick computer. He should have renewed his anti-virus program:cry3:

6. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Those viruses that Armandii mentioned are a real nightmare.

They generally work in a very clever yet simple way to circumvent your antivirus software. Often they attack your computer in two ways.

1. They change your internet browser settings so that the browser will always download the virus no matter what you do.

2. The virus its self does the aggro, changing advanced settings that make it very difficult to use the machine, and then hassling you.

Antivirus programs spot the virus and remove it, but because it has already changed your web settings it just keeps coming back.

Often these nasty programs even prevent you downloading or running anything else, including tools to eradicate them.

But there is a way (there is always a way), and it is quite easy if you know how.

First up, ask a friend to download a program called Process Explorer. Make sure it is the genuine microsoft one from here:

Process Explorer

.... and Microsoft Security Essentials from here:

Download details: Microsoft Security Essentials

Get your friend to put these two programs on a CD.

Put them on your computer, Process Explorer first.

Process Explorer shows you everything that's running on your machine, including stuff that would normally be hidden. The fiddly bit is looking down the list for something that doesn't seem right (eg is not published by a reputable company). When you spot the suspect, you can select it and 'kill' it. It only stops the process, it doesn't delete or update anything, so if you get it wrong, worst case you just have to restart your computer and start again.

Once you've stopped the offending process, then you can run Microsoft Security Essentials which will quickly find the malicious code and quarantine it.

9 times out of 10, then will get even the toughest viruses.

7. ARMANDII

Ratings:
    +100,836
    Thanks Clueless, that's great advice and a great help:thumbsup: I'll pass that on to my neighbour and hopefully he'll do it.

8. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,608
    You can stop at least 95 per cent of these cold callers. In the help pages of your telephone book there should be a website address or telephone number that you can contact to stop this. I filled in an on-line form three years ago and it's made a huge difference, I'm also ex-directory, which stops people from just scanning down the pages and calling. Both these are free of charge. Give it a try. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +4,015
      Armandii - That was the one that I had. I have AVG, which didn't stop it. So I Googled it and I used Malwarebytes which did sort it out.

Using the "Telephone Preference Service", as Sheal says, will stop 95% of nuisance calls. But those are the telesales, who generally try to stay within the law. The call Jasmine has was from crooks and they couldn't care less about the TPS.

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
      +100,836
      Hi Peter, you're right the Scammer's will ignore the telephone preference system which is why I use the answer phone as a firewall. I have used the TPS for some years now but reverted to the answer phone on finding some unwanted calls slipped through.

I have recommended to my neighbour that he uses Malwarebytes first and then installs AVG as the proper 24/7 security program, along with spybot. I run Bulldog, Spyware Doctor, Malwarebyte, Spybot, to protect the system, and Speed up my PC, Registry Booster to clean up the system.:thumbsup:

• kindredspirit

kindredspirit Gardening around a big Puddle. :)

Retired.
      Ratings:
      +4,586
      I got rid of AVG a couple of years ago as it let in a virus.

I've used Avast since, with no problems. (Touch wood.)

• Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +865
      We're also ex-directory which does stop some unsolicited calls, unfortunately however, many of them are just made by computer programmed to dial every number between say 111111 and 222222 in a particular STD code area. Many of the numbers these machines try may not exist, but the minute it receives a ringing tone it 'knows' there's a connected phone line so, even if you don't answer, it will often try again - that's why, when you (or your answerphone) picks up the receiver, there's that split-second pause before either their pre-recorded message kicks in or there's a 'human' on the other end trying to sell you summat.

• clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
      +19,596
      Those types of dialers are illegal now, although I'm sure they are still used.

Another way your number gets out is because companies you give it to, often sell it on to list brokers, who then sell it to anyone else that want's it. That too is illegal unless you give the original company permission to pass it on (the old 'tick this box if you don't not want us to not sell your soul to others' tick box, which most people either ignore, get confused by, don't even see because its so well tucked away, or where the company just ignores what you said because it is so hard to trace the leak back).

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
      +100,836
      One of the problems is that some of the cold callers are doing it from abroad so the Telephone Preference System won't apply:DOH: As I said, I find the effective answer, for me, is to use the answer phone as a "firewall" so it doesn't matter if there are repeat calls because I'm now mentally conditioned to ignore the ringing and only "switch on" to the voice.

Having worked for a Global Advertising Company I know there's a huge market for customer details i.e. life styles, most purchases, credit details, income, etc.. There are vast electronic storage banks sucking up every bit of information about us for use by who ever wants to pay for the information. The information doesn't have to be up to date or even accurate, there is always someone wanting to purchase or steal it for their own purposes:DOH:

• Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +9,233
      I used to use TPS when we lived in the UK. Now I'm in Belgium, so there is no such scheme (that I know of, anyway).

However, as has been said, there's always a way. We got our phone number when living in Brussels (French-speaking area), then moved to Vlams-Brabant (Flemish-speaking area). All the cold-calls are from French-speaking call centres. When they phone to sell me case-loads of wine, etc, I just ask them to speak Dutch to me.... So far (in over 5 years!) only one caller has been able to continue the cold-call in Dutch - the rest hang up!:loll: