Oh dear! My poor azaleas :cry3:

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by Salgor, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Salgor

Salgor Gardener

Ratings:
    +38
    IMG_20130716_110540-1.jpg IMG_20130716_110552-1-1-1.jpg Can anyone tell me what is causing this strange looking disease which is all over my azaleas and a dwarf rhodi? I have a couple of pics which might help. Please, please tell me what I can do. I have been cutting off the affected branches but it will become skeletal if I keep doing this!!:ouch1:

S

2. Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    It looks like Azalea Gall....one of mine had it once.....i remember picking off the 'galls' then giving the plant a good watering with rain water and then a good mulch with eric compost.....it's not as bad as it looks and won't kill the plant ,just makes it look unsightly but if you remove all the galls it'll be fine:dbgrtmb:

3. Salgor

Salgor Gardener

Ratings:
    +38
    Thanks Loli. I will cut off all of the remaining galls today and give them a good water (don't have rainwater tho', will have to make do with the hose) and get some eric compost tomorrow. Unfortunately, I know that these shrubs set their buds for next season immediately after the flowers die off. At this rate I won't get so many flowers next year. Hey Ho :whistle:

S

4. Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya Sally,you should just be able to pull the Galls off...no need for cutting:dbgrtmb:if you've no rain water just get a can of tap water and leave it to stand for 24hrs....that will be fine..also you could give it a feed with some eric feed for a boost:thumbsup: