1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Oh dear!?

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by William Francis, Oct 26, 2016.

1. William Francis

William Francis Apprentice Gardener

Retired Engineer
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi people's,
    Not quite the first post I had hoped for being nothing to do with gardening,or is it?
    Anyway have been 'laying out' the area at the back of our home and had layed weed block and decorative gravel/random stones when I discovered that a mole was destroying my efforts. Lumps were appearing under my pathway and in the neighboring grass area. Unable to locate and hence lay traps in the area the only thing to do was remove all gravel etc. At this stage I also took the decision to remove the top layer of weed/grass also and reseed with new topsoil.
    What do I do next? Now I am considering placing 16mm chicken wire under the weedblock prior to replacing gravel and also (without weedblock) the grass area. My thinking being that grass will penetrate downwards through the mesh but stoping moles in the other direction upwards. Also I am concerned about drainage in the path. Any ideas?
    Of interest to you I hope ,the decking area replaced a dilapitated shed ( I have another on the side of the property) and I am pleased with what I have done to the right of it ias seen in the pictures.This was just a mass of weeds etc and although people were somewhat dubious about the idea it has proved succesfull. Being on a slope, after suitable bushes were planted through the weedblock, rocks and fallen branches were added to help stabilise the mulch. Bushes, rocks, branches and mulch all being free to good home! Very little maintenance has been required apart from a top up of mulch now and then. The boundary fence was renewed recently and I am hoping to plant some passion fruit/climbers to cover it and form a colorful backdrop.
    Now as I am new to this forum would it not be a good idea if I started my own blog?
    Havn't got a garden yet!

Thanks for reading, how do I insert pictures?
    Willy

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Welcome to Gardeners Corner :sign0016:

Not sure chicken mesh will stop the moles pushing soil up thru it :sad:

You need a few more posts before the software will let you post pics :)

3. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    Vertical chicken wire buried around the perimeter should prevent moles getting under it, I use it that way to prevent moles getting into my polytunnels.

4. William Francis

William Francis Apprentice Gardener

Retired Engineer
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have been sprinkling the area with mole defender but I am trying to find a solution to stop them returnuing to the same .
    Any Ideas?

Willy

5. Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
    Ratings:
    +31,946
    We used to have moles so we planted some wild garlic, so far no moles

Jiffy don't temp fate

• Funny Funny x 1