1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

ok really scared now

Discussion in 'Allotments Discussion' started by PercyT, Jan 14, 2007.

1. PercyT

PercyT Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    ok, I have taken on an allotment and think me and my mate might just be getting along really well nearly have one bed ready to plant and second bed coming along fab.

I have been watching this forum with interest as have not much of an idea of what to plant when, where or with what.

Then start to read thread on potatoes seems like an alian language. I might need to retink this grow your own lark. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

2. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
  3. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,791
    Keep at it PercyT,The secret is take your time,d,ont rush,enjoy it.I also envy you in a nice way,as I am physically not quite up to an allotment.Good Luck

4. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Read this book -Growing Vegetables by Tony Biggs - I am going to bore everyone on here by recommending it.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vegetables-Horticultural-Encyclopaedia-Practical-Gardening/dp/1840001526/sr=1-1/qid=1168812133/ref=sr_1_1/203-3071418-6507107?ie=UTF8&s=books
    Actually looking at it it is a bit different from my edition which is 26 years old but its the same author and it looks like it covers the same ground.
    When I got my first allotment my wife bought it me. I had never grown veg properly before then and it is nice and simple and easy to read.

5. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi PercyT, don't be put off by all the jargon. Just plant stuff and nine times out of ten they will grow. :D

6. Mondo

Mondo Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi PercyT
    Like you we are about to embark on the allotment lark :rolleyes: .
    We have chatted to other allotment holders who seem to be the best source of information. They are a great bunch who give masses of encouragement and advice [​IMG]
    Mondo (North Cheam round the corner almost)
    [​IMG]

7. Matty Boy

Matty Boy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi PercyT,

I'd like to add to the nice supportive messages that evveryone has replied with here. I do gardening by trial and error - supplemented by tips and advice that I can pick up from great resouces like GC.

Don't be intimidated or scared by anything or anyone, If you don;t have a go you never know. And what's more, I think that you can get really suprising and unexpected results that defy textbook thinking by trying things out that feel like a good idea.

Just think how complex something like hybridisation sounds (just trying new combinations and seeing what works!... don't mean to offend anyone out there but you know what I'm getting at I hope).

And at the end of the day if you learn something from your own efforts then you'll find it much more satisfying than just doing what the books tell you.

Havve fun.

8. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Trial and error can sometimes be a pain. If it doesn't work then you have to wait till next year. Thats where a good down to earth book can come in. The book sets out in simple terms the basics of rotations that you need to do.
    On an allottment he is in the best place to learn. I learnt a lot from talking to and watching the other plot holders. If you cannot understand why they are growing something in a particular way you just ask. The main problem then is shutting them up so you could get back to some work.
    I got most of my tips from the old guys who had been gardening 40- 50 years and were using techniques honed on years of experience. They had done the trial and error nad passed on the knowledge. Simple things like always watering the base of the drill before sowing the seed and then covering, sowing carrots in a broad row than a narrow drill, low fencing round the trailing marrows, bedding the spuds in well rotted manure to combat scab, digging out bean trenches in winter and chucking everything going down it to provide a source of moisture deep down. Thats the sort of thing i miss not having an allotment. Don't worry about being a beginner. everybody has been there.

9. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    To pinch a bit from Kipling -

If you can dream--and not make dreams your master,
    If you can think--and not make thoughts your aim;
    If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
    And treat those two impostors just the same;
    Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
    And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools:

You'll be a gardener my son. ;)

10. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
  11. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    I do agree with GeoffHanley. Trial and error is fine but it can take a long time. I believe that you should go to the guys that are at the top in their particular field and read or listen to what they say. Not just one source but several. Once you have accumulated all their knowledge, your trial and error will be better focused.

12. crowley

crowley Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I think you should just not worry, when you first start anything it all seems new and alien, but you soon pick stuff up, maybe start with some small projects and do a bit at a time. It will seem like 5 mins before you look back and think how did I get here/learn this. It's surprising how quick you can pick stuff up and even experts dont always get perfect results.
    There will always be some people who know even less about it than you do at the mo and some who know more.
    The good thing about gardening though is you get to have fun on the journey and seeing your first flowers or vegetables and the satisfaction that you grew them yourself is unlike any other experience.
    there are loads of expert books and internet resources, I tend to pick a plant or project and gather info as I go along. The nice thing is it isnt always so black and white and clear cut(unless you dont water it or give it basics) and some things are easier to grow than others

13. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Being a beginner isn't a bad thing on an allotment site. people are always keen top pass on advice and even plants etc. In fact i have even heard of people pretending to be beginners in order to scrounge cuttings etc. ;)

14. PercyT

PercyT Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Wow!! thanks everyone for the encouragement.

I will let you all know as soon as I have managed to grow anything.

I am slowly getting to know the old boys who are in the allotment shop regularly on a Sunday, and I have only met one neighbouring allotmenteer once, but I have only had the allotment since late Oct.

Fortunately from the sounds of some of the threads I have read the allotment I have taken over wasnt too bad just grass and a few weeds by the looks of it, it hadnt been left for too long.

I have borrowed a book from one of the old boys down on the allotment.

so fingers crossed

once again thank very much for all the positive feedback.

15. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,316
    Another simple tip. Don't call them 'old boys' when they might hear you [​IMG] ;) [​IMG] :D :D
    I know some of us that don't like it.

The 'old boys' on your allotment are pretty sure to be able to give the best advice as they know the local soil best. There is usually nothing they like better than to be asked for their advice. As geoffhandley says, you will probably have more trouble shutting them up!

Enjoy your allotment.

---------------
    shiney