1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Old apple tree problem

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Janbristol, Aug 7, 2016.

1. Janbristol

Janbristol Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +11
    Hi,
    We have an old apple tree at the bottom of the garden, about 25 ft. Has been pruned several times over the years. I would like to keep this tree if possible.
    Its swaying in the wind a bit now, and wondered if it could be strapped up somehow, as the trunk divides. Also it has developed areas of hard lumps all up its trunk, I wondered if this was disease or something that happens to old trees?
    Any ideas to save my tree appreciated.
    Many thanks,
    Jan 2016-08-06 14.03.00.jpg 2016-08-06 14.03.15.jpg

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Welcome to Gardeners Corner :sign0016:

Is it actually splitting when it sways?

3. TreeTreeTree

TreeTreeTree I know sh!t about trees

Ratings:
    +247
    Hi Jan

You could brace the tree, but I would highly recommend getting it done by a professional arborist so as to make sure it's carried out correctly and does no further harm to the tree. Alternatively / additionally you could get the weight reduced in the crown so as to reduce the sail effect in high winds.

The knobbly bits are just cankers associated with old apple trees and are nothing to be concerned about at this time.

Matthew

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Janbristol

Ratings:
      +11
      Hi,
      Its a bit windy today, I have just been down to have a look and its splitting at the thick base of the tree rather worryingly:sad:

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Bit of strapping wouldn't hurt then, might need a bit more taking off the top, but not all the growth at once, try to leave a third of it on this year :fingers crossed:

• daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +2,881
      Sounds to me like it`s on it`s last legs, Jan. What is the foliage looking like?

• Janbristol

Ratings:
      +11
      Hi,
      Update on our old tree had it looked at yesterday. Yes I am afraid it is on its last legs, the split has gone too far. I think we shall have to resign and get it cut so its safe, planting something like a honeysuckle and let it be a habitat for insects. Foliage looks OK and there are apples, but a lot of dead wood and decay.The tree surgeon said its between 80 and 90 years old:sad:

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        That's a shame Jan :sad:

I would say take a cutting, but without grafting it onto a dwarfing rootstock it could get enormous :yikes:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Janbristol

Ratings:
          +11
          I suppose it would take years to get enormous?
          How would I go about taking a cutting?...... A nice way for it to "live on"

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          Take a twig off at the node where it joins a branch, either dust it with hormone rooting powder or stick it in a vase with a stick of willow, both help to form roots.

• Like Like x 1
          • Janbristol

Ratings:
            +11
            I might just try that.... That has cheered me up:ThankYou:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
            • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
              +0
              :biggrin:

You'll get a spare willow tree too :snorky:

• Funny Funny x 2
              • daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
                Ratings:
                +2,881
                Jan, you need to take at least 10 cuttings to be on the safe side. Do not shove them in water with a willow twig. Get yourself a pot of spent compost, water it and let it drain. THEN take your cuttings and push them into the compost. As for taking the cuttings, you can either take what is called heel cuttings, that is, taking living shoots from a lateral branchlet, or you can take internodal cuttings. That is selecting fresh growth from the branch and taking cuttings about 5 inches long. You make the cut about a quarter inch BELOW a leaf node. Remove all leaves apart from 2 at the top of the cutting, then insert as for the heel cuttings. Another option is to take internodal cuttings but about 8 inches long, again strip the lower leave. You then shove them in the ground somewhere out of the way.

• Informative Informative x 1
                • Friendly Friendly x 1
                • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
                  +0
                  Ever tried doing that Dai? :)

• Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
                  +2,830
                  How wonderful to have such a tree. Can you post a picture showing the whole tree? I am not an apple tree expert but I wonder if it would be possible to save it by cutting off one of the trunks, retaining the one that looks the healthiest. In the picture you posted it appears to have two trunks, what you call splitting. If one trunk could be saved you would still have your tree. It would look lopsided for awhile but would soon start to grow new branches to balance it up.

• Agree Agree x 1
                  • Friendly Friendly x 1