1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Old greenhouse in need of replacement glass or other suitable medium

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by Bonnyrigg Lea, Oct 21, 2006.

1. Bonnyrigg Lea

Bonnyrigg Lea Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Im completely new to gardening. Have an active one year old child and have moved to a house with an old greenhouse (several panes missing). As the existing glass seems fragile and unstable Im looking for a suitable safe replacement option rather than ditch the greenhouse as friends (non gardeners) have suggested. Please help! [email protected]

2. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    Hi and Welcome B Lea..I would replace the glass with polycarbonate..A local glaziers should carry it and have it in standard sizes.
    And they will take your old glass off you if they are any good! [​IMG]

3. Mel

Mel Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    B&Q sell packs of polycarbonate to fit standard sized greenhouses

4. Bonnyrigg Lea

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies, will check out the options and work on the one that is the most feasible.
    B Lea

5. luckyboo

luckyboo Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know anything about this as I don't own one but I've seen someone's which has bubble-wrap on the inside(insulation?). Might be a short-term measure on the windows while the panes are being replaced?

6. badsal72

badsal72 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    horticultural glass is fragile, not only will it break easily (especially near children?) but the edges ar not usually that smooth, so if you are going to remove it, please wear gloves.

7. Larkshall

Larkshall Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    Polycarbonate sheets are expensive, a cheaper alternative is acrylic (perspex) which can be got in two thicknesses, 1.5mm and 3mm.

8. Nick the Grief

Nick the Grief Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  9. Bonnyrigg Lea

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, will check into it.

10. Tipsy

Tipsy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have tried replacing some panes in my greenhouse with Acrylic panes....they are great and certainly safer BUT... I found that in high winds they tend to flex and pop the clips.

Lose a pane or two in a wind and you could lose the greenhouse....I saw one explode in such circumstances a couple of years ago...the broken glass was spread over five allotment plots and the aluminium frame twisted so much that the house was just taken down and dumped.

11. Bonnyrigg Lea

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Tipsy,
    Thanks for the message, but now its a bit late. I did get some Acrylic panes - carefully had them installed... and then the high winds came over the weekend and blew the greenhouse (unfortunately I didnt witness the event... If Id have known I would have been touting tickets!).
    So, its back to the drawing board
    Have a good and green new year
    Lea

12. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    Anyone round about would have been watching their own one doing the same, Lea! I certainly was! And I'm very glad I wasn't near - shards of glass were fired into the fence!! :eek:

It was a fairly unusual wind direction for those gusts, so fingers crossed for next time.......

13. Hex

Hex Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Don`t go near the greenhouse in high winds..they should come with a warning sticker in the window :D
    Getting hit by high speed glass shards or a polycarbonate sheet wouldn`t be much fun.

With a 70mph wind your greenhouse will be under the stress of at least 22lbs per square foot.

Which is about half a ton on an 8ft x 6ft glass wall, little wonder they sometimes give up the ghost ;)

14. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    Which ever type of glazing you use try applying a run of silicone around the edge where it touches the frame. The structure will become firmer and the 'type' of glazing will not fly away...Promise!

15. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,035
    Am I right in thinking that you need the low modulus neutral cure silicone for acrylic Pal?