1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Old Lily bulbs

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by lakeside, Oct 28, 2010.

1. lakeside

lakeside Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +14
    I have had several pots planted with lily bulbs for several years. They have not been looked after, with no fertilizer, for about five years. Their growth and display has diminished. I have emptied these pots and saved about 25 small bulbs some made of up several cloves, like very small garlic bulbs.

I have thought of saving these, planting in an old Belfast sink with fresh compost next spring.

Am I wasting my time! Will these bulbs grow bigger and produce more?

2. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hmm! Well I avoided this hoping that someone who actually knew would answer. They will grow, if planted individually but I don't know how long it would take for them to flower, it depends on the variety.:wink: You could try putting each bulb in a 6" pot and letting them get on with it. I'm experimenting with "tree Lilly" bulbs. I've planted some "flakes" but I don't expect much for 2 yrs.:)

3. lakeside

lakeside Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +14
    Does anyone else have any information? Thanks.

4. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    :wink: Well Mike, this might help you... I have done this many times with great success..

5. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    I certainly wouldn't call myself an expert on this subject, however, I moved some lillies a couple of years ago and when lifting them I acquired some "scales". Thinking waste not want not, I planted them in pots about twice the depth if the "scales". Lots of leaves appeared year 1 and this years I did get a couple of small flowers so hoping for better next. I'd go ahead and plant them...nothing to loose. Maybe check the drainage of the Belfast sink tho.

6. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    I'm not a lily expert by any means but I've been growing different varieties of lilies in 18" pots [20-25 in each pot for 20 years or so. I propagate lilies in the same way as the article in a previous answer but the time taken for the bulblet or scale to get to a worthwhile maturity of flowering does definitely depend on the variety. The minimum time I seen is two years and that was the bulblets of the smaller variety. The larger types seemed to take 3-4 years before they gave worthwhile flowering. I would just follow the advice from the article and enjoy the anticipation of seeing them grow no matter how long it takes.