1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

old oil drum wanted

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by amme, Dec 4, 2009.

1. amme

amme Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I need this for an incinerator, i am based in brownhills walsall.

2. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    Give a local scrap yard a ring Amme. Tell them what it's for and they ought to make sure it's safe to use.

3. watergarden

watergarden have left the forum because...i'm a sad case

Ratings:
    +549
    Scrap yard? What’s that then?
    I am sorry Paladin, this is nothing personal, its just that you happened to say it.

“Go to your local scrap yard” that always does it for me. The local scrap yard to me went about 25 years ago, the nearest car salvage yard went about 15 years ago. I googled for scrap dealer, only 2 show up in the whole county, and one of them is a just P.O. box

Most scrap yards as was have long gone, there are “salvage yards” but they will take anything from a building that is a fitting or part of the structure, but not oil drums as they are not “clean”

I also googled for oil drums for sale, found a few forums, including this one, that do say they are not as easy to get as you would have thought. Freecycle is also mentioned, but the old “they always come up on there” line came up too. (everything "ALWAYS" comes up on freecycle, except what ever you want)

I eventually did find a supplier of oil drums, but they seem to be trade only and they called them salvage drums, as they are oil drums but with a sealable lid, so you can put your leaking or damaged drum inside theirs.

Good luck Amme

(I will still google)

4. amme

amme Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    thats great thankyou :thumb:

5. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    By the time you've messed about finding a supplier of an old oil drum, driven along and got it and paid for it, you could have just gone to the local garden centre and bought a new incinerator bin for about £20.

6. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
  7. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125