Old Seeds

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Tinker86, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Tinker86

Tinker86 Gardener

Ratings:
    +151
    I hope being a newb, I haven't posted this in the wrong place, If I have, firstly my apologies, and secondly if a mod could move it to where it should be, I'd be ever so grateful, thanks!

My brother passed away at the tender young age of 36 back in 2013. My brother was a keen gardener, he had a cracking allotment and in fact he passed on the bug, to his little brother, me!
    I've been grafting my backside off the past week laying a big 4m x 4m decking area, electrics and slabs for my parents and while there, my Mom found an ice cream tub full of all kinds of seeds, a couple of dibbers with a handy depth gauge, labels for beds and his trusty pencil. To me, being his, it's absolute treasure!!!
    The seeds are now out of date, which is why I wanted to ask you experienced lot, if I tried to germinate and get them started in pots, obviously in conjunction with correct sowing times, am I wasting my time?

I suppose it's a vain attempt at me making a connection with the man who isn't around anymore, who I miss and think about every day, so just for that reason I am tempted to have a go and see what happens.

What dya think?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  2. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +48,831
    I've sown stuff way out of date before - some worked, some didn't. What have you got to lose? Besides, you already have the connection, in your heart and in your mind.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Tinker86

Tinker86 Gardener

Ratings:
      +151
      Nail on the head buddy. If they germinate then I'd obviously be on cloud 9 being his, but if they didn't, then they will have only done what is expected I suppose. Maybe the key is to write them off, and expect nothing, then if I was to get just 1 tiny shoot, it'd be a massive bonus.

Thanks buddy

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
        At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
        Ratings:
        +48,831
        Don't forget to post pictures of that bonus though, eh? Your bother will be proud of you taking up the gardening skills.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Tinker86

Tinker86 Gardener

Ratings:
          +151
          Absolutely! If I were to strike gold and get a small little batch going, then it'd only be fitting to put together a separate bed and name it 'Richards Patch'

Thank you mate! Worth a go ay!!!

• Agree Agree x 1