1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Olive tree - concerned owner

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Paul Norfolk, Jun 17, 2020.

1. Paul Norfolk

Paul Norfolk Apprentice Gardener

Office worker
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi all. See attached photos of my approx 15 year old olive tree. I’m getting very worried as after owning the tree for a year it is starting to look very unwell.
    I recently moved it to a back patio in our garden underneath a huge sycamore tree. the leaves have started to have an orange blot on some of them and some leaves have curled up and died. Also the blossom is dying too.
    many advice much appreciated. It is my pride and joy.
    Best Paul

Attached Files:

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,694
    Its in a very small pot for a 15 year old tree.

3. Paul Norfolk

Office worker
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Pete,
    Firstly, thank you for your response. The tree has been in really good condition this last year. So would the small-ish pot cause the stress it appears to be under? It only seems to have faded since I moved it under the sycamore. I was also advised not to water it much so it’s pretty dry. I’m assuming that advice must be incorrect as it’s in a pot.
    I know I seem to be answering my own question here but I have no idea what to do as it’s been fine up until the last three or so weeks.

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,694
    Well, I'm not sure, but I do think maybe those curled leaves denote its been too dry.
    They dont like to be wet, but a plant that size in that pot I would think would need, bearing in mind the recent weather, watering every day.

And feeding at this time of the year once a week.

Its doing an awful lot at the moment with all those flowers, so will be needing a bit more of everything.:smile:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +21,270
      Could you move it back to where it was "happier"?
      Given the weather we had in May, especially the drying winds, I agree with Pete about the need to water and feed. What type of compost is it in?

• Paul Norfolk

Office worker
      Ratings:
      +5

• Paul Norfolk

Office worker
      Ratings:
      +5
      Thank you to both of you. I realise now I took some wrong advice about not watering it too much. Maybe the advice came from someone not realising the olive tree was in the small pot. We’ve fed it tonight and will keep a close eye on watering.
      first forum post/question I asked and got some great responses. Will keep you posted should the tree suffer more.
      Thanks again.
      Paul

• Like Like x 1