1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

On a positive note ..

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Victoria, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,898
    I am posting here because World Events is included .... and this new image certainly could be a world event. :D

There has been much criticism regarding the new system and image, including by my goodself, but there are positive things also. One is that when you are replying to a post and want to answer something someone said in a previous posting within the thread, you can scroll down the page and find the previous postings in a synopsis form and read them again and go back to typing as many times as you wish. :thumb:

I'm sure as time progresses we will find other useful whatsits (it's too early to think) so perhaps we can pass these along to each other here. :)

Let's be positive ... in saying that, I lost everything I typed first go around after previewing it so I shall send this unpreviewed this time. :rolleyes:

2. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,931
    As you get used to the VBulletin software, you would not want to go back to the old ...... There are lots of things that this software allows you to do, and that is the reason that it is used by very very busy forums, and why it is the market leader in forum software :thumb:

3. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,898
    I have used VBulletin in the past on a site which mut have 30,000 members if not more, which is perhaps why this is not too difficult for me. :)

Three useful tips ...

* When you want to reply, click on Go Advanced and all the gimmicks will appear for you.

* Rather than going through the Forum cover page to read posts, I always preferred to go to Today's Topics. To do this, click on Quick Links and you'll find all sorts of goodies there.

* For those of you who do not wish your age or birthday to be publicly displayed (an American requirement I believe), go to User CP at the top left and go into your profile to delete or block it.

That's all I can think of for now.

Have a lovely day everyone whatever you may be doing.:)

4. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    getting there slowly sitting the webmasters challenge:D
    we will all get there in the end :thumb: think we all liked the old skin a lot and didnt want to change..but slowly but surely im starting to warm to it only a little but as the days go by i think i will not even remember the old skin..i remember trying to get my grandma to have a mobile phone it took 5 years and the first time it rang she nearly ate it:D:D, think webmaster might have kicked our butts into the present day..be nice to see the old colour and logo back ..that has to be must..webmaster well done for kicking our butts and for all the hard wurk:D i meant work,,even got a spell checker..no one likes change ..but i wouldnt like to ride to birmingham on a horse...:eek::eek:

5. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    thanks lol, i had sussed it all out but spent hours :thumb::)looking for quicker ways and for todays posts felt so lost without it ..well after your tip of qck links you have just filled the gap i have been looking for ,,wow i feel better now what you need to do now is start a new thread to help us all:thumb: new skin and tips... so it will be spotted as some people are only just getting back on..only a idea but we need a thread on tips and help :)

6. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    It's starting to look better already what with the added colour etc.:thumb: Hel.xxx.

7. webadmin

webadmin Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Its getting there.

No software is perfect and certainly no software will be perfect for everyone. I think that this software is as close as it is possible to get to being a great platform for GC to grow onto bigger and better things and provide the perfect environment for everyone here to enjoy the community.

I have spent years building and developing websites (including forums) and ultimately it is the people that make it work. :thumb:

8. Claire75

Claire75 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I almost don't feel qualified to reply as I'm not about all that much...
    But I think it's great, although that may be because the environmental forum I'm a regular on has just changed to this software.
    I particularly like the new posts feature, which I don't think was on the old software.
    Also just wanted to thank all those involved for the hard work doing the change and in general with keeping the forum running.

9. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Mmmm, no comment.. I just did (make a comment)...Im dumb without my smilies.

10. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hey Ste. how did you get your moving rabbit sig. on when I try it says no animated sigs or avitars :confused:

11. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Will look into this later ;)

12. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,898
    My cheetah is running but my cats eyes won't blink because I edited them down to Avatar size .. I know my cheetah is avatar size but she's running with the wind. I just transferred over whether it said I could or not ... but that's me .... :)

13. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    LoL, The cats' eyes are blinking now. I can't see how to change colour of text even in 'go advanced'. I would like more emoticons please.

Sure we will all get used to it. It's like everything else, change is scary at first.

cheers

14. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    Help!...How do I post from P-B now?:confused:
    No matter what code I use I can no longer do it....Not even a message to say 'Not that way thicko':p

15. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5