1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Onion (grey mould)

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Markr, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Markr

Markr Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    ive had it on my onions the last couple of years' it stops the plants big time!
    anyone got a cure [​IMG]

2. elainefiz

elainefiz Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Mark.Neck Rot?It says....Treatment,none.Examine stored bulbs frequently and remove rotten bulbs immediately.Prevention; Dust seeds and sets with carbendazim before planting.Follow all the rules for correct storage-dry bulbs thoroughly and store only hard,undamaged ones in a cool well ventilated place.Don`t store onions with fleshy green necks. Mould on leaves?; Spray with carbendazim at first signs.Repeat fortnightly.Grow onions on a different sight each yr.Avoid badly drained areas.

3. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    If it's on the roots it sounds like White Rot Mark. If it is there is no cure :(
    It started in my garden a few years ago and despite shifting the onion bed it persisted.
    Only advice I've found is not to grow onions for at least eight years. A real pain as I used to grow really good onions :(

If it's mould on leaves it's probably Downy Mildew in which case the advice used to be be to spay with carbendazim and ensure crop rotation(don't know if this chemical is still available).

4. Markr

Markr Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    its mould on the leaves!
    carbendazim ive never heard of, but i will check it out.
    i tried mancozeb last year with poor results, shame because onions are one of my favourites.

dave did you try armilatox for your problem?

5. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Grey mould sounds like Botrytis, you could try whatever fungicide is currently available buit I personally would use Vaseline to stop it spreading to other plants. Simply rub it on to the affected stems. If it were White Rot you could not grow any member of the onion family on that bed for at least 7 years and you would need to treat the area with Armillatox every Autumn/Winter for that time. Other crops could be grown there however. David.

6. Markr

Markr Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    ok thanks, im stuck with it because i grow on an allotment.