1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Onion growing advice please

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Fidgetsmum, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +865
    Yesterday, as a thank you for a small kindness, my neighbour gave me two packs of Unwins onion sets - 1 Senshu (Japanese) onion, the other Yellow Moon shallots, both of which say 'Plant Sept - Dec'. The thing is, not only have I never grown onions before, but in truth I don't have anywhere to put them, at least not the combined total of 85 sets, so I'm seriously in need of some advice please.

Can I plant (some of) them in containers?
    What would be a good size of container?
    Would there be any advantage in putting that/those containers in my unheated greenhouse during the worst of the winter?

and lastly .....

I know onions prefer a light(er) soil which is fine - mine's light and quite sandy, but what else do I need to know about growing onions, watering, feeding, etc?

As usual, all advice gratefully received.

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    I`d be inclined to use growbags FM, planting 10 to 12 sets per bag.:dbgrtmb:

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,053
    There’s a couple of ways to use these FidgetsMum.

You can grow them in seed trays or the soil in your greenhouse and eat them as ‘spring’ onions over winter.

Secondly you can grow them on to full size for harvest next summer. In this case they need to go into their final positions straight away. They are very hardy and don’t mind being outside. It will be worse for them keeping them inside your greenhouse over winter, they will get lax/leggy and probably bolt straight away in the spring.

4. Fidgetsmum

Ratings:
    +865
    Thank you guys. I've no idea where I'm going to put them but I'll find somewhere, (even if it's only dotted amongst the flowers!) but I'm certainly not going to waste them so I might try sticking a few of the 'left overs' in the greenhouse and, when they bolt, JWK can smile and say 'I told you so'!!

5. Vince

Vince Not so well known for it.

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,499
    Sorry, I'm of no help! I grow all my onions from seed,........

Onions do like a rich free-draining bed, I have two purpose built beds ready for next year, these are to accomodate my Kelsaes which I'll be sowing 26th December. Unlike last year, my new beds are in full sun, this years harvest (from shaded beds) have confirmed that and been rather disappointing, (Still bigger than any shop bought onions though and a slightly stronger flavour than usually associated with Kelsaes)

As I said, NO use LOL

6. Fidgetsmum

Ratings:
    +865
    I'm not actually after huge onions, but would rather have something of pickling size. That said Vince, all knowledge is useful, but ...

:what:... I thought men escaped to the pub on Boxing Day!

7. Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
    Ratings:
    +6,654
    I planted my left over onion sets in seed trays this year and packed them quite close to each other and when the leaves withered away at the end of the summer they'd grown in to lovely little onions just short of the size of a golf ball :thumb: