1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Onion Seeds

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Alasdair, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Alasdair

Alasdair Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    When is the best time to sow my onion seeds?

Thanks

Alasdair

2. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Hi Alisdair. I will be sowing mine around the middle of January. That way I hope to get some good sized onions. My father always sowed his around christmas day, but he grew his for showing purposes. I guess it just depends what you want, and what means you have of looking after them until planting time (april). I've never sown them direct in the ground, so I can't advise you on that, but I would assume they get sown around march. Hopefully this helps and I'm sure someone else can advise you more on this. Cheers...freddy.

3. sawfish

sawfish Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    If you can do it inside on a sunny windowsill then boxing day is the traditional sowing day.

4. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,050
    I only every grow onion sets these days, I know you don't get such big onions as with seed and there is less choice of variety but it suits my lazier style of gardening.

5. Little Miss Road Rage

Little Miss Road Rage Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I've got some onion sets. When should they get planted?

6. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,050
    I always plant mine in the spring, March/April time. When did you get yours?