1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Onions and a bit of mould!

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by MrMorgan, Feb 21, 2013.

1. MrMorgan

MrMorgan Gardener

Ratings:
    +42
    Hi all,

Well I planted some onion sets in seed trays in early January - both red and white. Put them in the greenhouse and almost all have now set roots and fired up green shoots. I did get a touch of mould on them, a consequence of a bit of over watering and a few days of sunshine in Mid Jan. Some surface mould appeared on the actual set (bulb?) but they seem to have continued on undaunted. Went to plant some out yesterday but the set/bulb on a lot of them is soft/hollow? They don't feel squelchy inside and the shoots still seem healthy but don't want to waste time planting out 50 onions if they are in the first stages of failing! Do they sound ok?!?

Many thanks,

MrM

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,167
    Soft doesn't sound good to me. I think they should feel firm.

• Like Like x 1
    • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Sorry, I mis read the post when I first looked at it, thought you'd grown them from seed.

The energy stored in the sets will be going into root & new leaf growth so they will go a bit soft.

• Like Like x 2
      • Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
        Ratings:
        +12,508
        It doesn't sound promising, I wouldn't chance it....

• Like Like x 1
        • Tee Gee

Tee Gee Gardener

retired
          Ratings:
          +172
          More to the point what is the root system like?

I agree with Zigs but then again there is soft and there is soft!

As you say the tops are healthy, so if the root ball is quite large then you might be OK but if the root system is poor then I think you have answered your own question.

What might be worth while is buy a pack of setts as back up and plant these alternately with your existing ones. Then if you find the original ones rot off, you can pull them out and allow more space for the new ones!

If they don't rot off then you have got a bonus!

But I think you need some form of backup or else you might end up with nothing!

• Like Like x 2
          • MrMorgan

MrMorgan Gardener

Ratings:
            +42
            Thanks all. The root systems are generally good Tee Gee and they don't feel mouldy or 'mushy' inside. Good shout though with the alternate planting I had started another set off just in case but will plant those out as said and see how we go.

Cheers Zigs was on the verge of throwing them all in the bin so you gave them a second chance! Will keep you posted on how we fare! The second batch were Red Baron and Electric from Poundland. Go on guess the price for a packet of about 50. £1 a pack, amazing that Poundland!!:)