1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Online gardening journals?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by debbiem, May 8, 2011.

1. debbiem

debbiem Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,
    I signed up to a site called Shoot a year ago and use it log my plants, etc. Befor I renew in a couple of weeks time I wondered if anyone has used any other similar sites and which you think are better than others?

Thanks

Debbie

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    The VGA Live! Home Page - Free but pretty rough

There is a site with a name like GrowVeg which allows online planning, but it focuses more on slick planning tools than on vegetable varieties and how long things take from Sow to Germinate to PrickOut to Plant

MyFolia is probably the best one for vegetables, but they allow any old rubbish through their Statistics - so they will tell you that (by way of facetious example) lettuce take between 1 day and 654 days to reach maturity ... but given the number of members they have their Average figures are probably pretty accurate, although it needs to be restricted to other growers near to you to be useful. I think they could make more of their data than they do ...

There is another site, I've forgotten the name, which is a series of mini-blogs from members. Lots of really good pictures, with comments from other members, which is surprisingly effective.

I didn't get on with Shoot, personally. When I tried it it had heard of so few plants in my garden ( I don't have many that are THAT unusual) that I didn't bother to part with my money for the subscription.

3. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Debbiem - there is so much online with forums and sites that I am not sure there is a need to subscribe.

One site I like is CGF:: Cotswold Garden Flowers . This an encyclopedia by Bob Brown, who has won gold medals at Chelsae. He used to be a schoolmaster and likes to give plants a score out of 10. I have found it to be a good source of information. Otherwise chatting to people on forums takes a lot of beating.