1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

open gardens

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by compostee, Mar 19, 2007.

1. compostee

compostee Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I was wondering how many of you opened your garden for the NGS. I thought about it, and to get some hints I watched that open gardens on fri evening bbc2(england - not wales) 7.30pm. It was quite interesting, but it's put me off applying. I couldn't stand it if some ngs inspector came round and suggested do this and do that, :eek: get rid of that workshop it's ugly. And hide this and improve that. :confused: I couldn't cope with critiscism to that extent and be told to spend a few bob to bring it up to scratch, :mad: just so I could make a few pounds for charity. :rolleyes: I know it's for a good cause and all that. What I want to know is, if anyone does open for the NGS, are the inspections that rigorous?

2. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Does your village/town have an open garden scheme - rather than the NGS. You might find that better - or even maybe start a scheme in the community.

The NGS scheme is advertised nationally and therefore as I understand it there are criteria to be met before becoming part of it.

My village has an open garden scheme, and I have been persuaded to join in. No criteria, just be prepared for people wandering round your garden for a 4-5 hours one sunday - in aid of local facilities.

3. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,478
    I don't know about the NGS scheme but I agree with Fran. Your local open garden scheme is the best way to go. They don't usually set any criteria. You just let people wander round and answer questions, if there are any. These schemes usually charge a flat rate to the visitors and for that sum they are free to go to all the gardens in the scheme. Some gardening/horticultural clubs also run them.

We have done this but now open our garden a couple of times a year to raise money for a local charity that we pick - normally a different one each year. We don't charge an entry fee and just have a box for donations. We also provide tea or coffee and biscuits for a nominal donation. This is good fun but you need to spread the word yourself. Our first open day is usually the third week in May and this gives us the incentive to get the garden into shape for it.

----------------
    shiney

4. compostee

compostee Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I opened my garden for a weekend last year for custs and their friends, and that went well. But where I live, gardening is not top priority, so I am more or less on my own. I think i might open for a day and advertise in the local shops and holiday parks around and then have a charity donation pot. I get folk coming to buy eggs, produce and plants, and i had a WI party round one evening for talk, wander and coffee with cake. So thanks for your help. I will have a go.

5. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    Sounds a really good idea, the local version, that is. Think I might aim for getting some neighbours interested in that, probably for a year on from now.... Got to be a good thing! Thanks for the ideas everyone!

6. whis4ey

whis4ey Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +803
    Well now .... a couple of years ago I arranged a day for the local Rotary Club and their guests (most of whom I knew)
    It went well, but it did mean a great deal of work for Wonderwoman and myself for a couple of weeks before the big day to try to tidy things up enough for visitors
    If your guests tell you how nice everything looks it is fine. If they criticise and find weeds everywhere (or steal cuttings) it is less pleasureable
    Depends on what you want out of life [​IMG]

7. shiney

Ratings:
    +118,478
    We were told years ago that as long as we don't charge people an entrance fee our household insurance covers us if someone injures themselves - they are then classified as guests.
    If you charge an entry fee then you need separate insurance.

The hard work gettting the garden ready is a bonus because it doesn't seem quite so hard when you know others are going to admire it. [​IMG] [​IMG]

-----------------
    shiney

8. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Shiney,looks like a coach party from GC will be heading your way in the third week in May :D :D If you can get some Sortbread Biscuits in please as they are my favourites,I don't mind paying for the privelege either [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    Hope it's a big garden, Shiney! :D I rather enjoy shortbread too..... but maybe I could bring some of my own home-made stuff! :rolleyes:

10. shiney

Ratings:
    +118,478
    Thanks Kandy
    I'm not sure, yet, whether we can open this year. As you know, we have a building project going on and they don't know when they will finish. At the moment the projected time is towards the end of June. We don't know what clearing up we will have to do then. :eek: :eek:

We shall have to make new flower beds around the new building and probably renovate the lawn near it where they will be making a mess. Also we are having all the old pation ripped up (including all the paving around the greenhouse) and laying new paving to match the paving around the new building.
    They haven't measured it yet but they have started a little competition of who can guess the right amount. The average so far is 120 sq metres - but we haven't worked out how we want the paving around the new building yet. They are bound to mess up the lawn around the pation as well!

I'll keep smiling. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

----------------------
    shiney

11. shiney

Ratings:
    +118,478
    Hi dendy
    It's big enough for me - about 3/4 of an acre.
    I'll issue an official invitation to all of you when we get organised. I expect it will be May 2008. You can bring a trailer full of your shortbread - that will pull in the punters. :D :D

-----------------
    shiney

12. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Quite a small garden then Shiney [​IMG] Our village has an open day each year,but we never think our garden is good enough to show people round it.They would get round it in five minutes,so we would have to fatten them up with biscuits first to slow them down :D

Dendi,You ought to put up a recipe in the recipe thread for your Shortbread Biscuits.We also get stocked up with the Walkers ones when we head up to your beautiful Country.We are off to the Lake District in July,as we have some walks to do.We are already in training [​IMG] :D

13. lynne

lynne Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I think sometimes we are far too hard on ourselves!
    When I look at my garden all I can see are the faults. That bed needs weeding, that patch looks a little bare, eek, is that blackspot on my Sombreuil!
    I had a chap come round the other day to pick up some plant pots I had advertised on Freecycle and he was all praise and Wow! what a lovely garden you have. Made me feel a bit better about it!
    [​IMG]