Open plot or poly-tunnel?

Discussion in 'Poly-Tunnel Gardening' started by BigBird, Jan 31, 2011.

1. BigBird

BigBird Gardener

Signaller
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hellooooo gardening friends!!

Sorry I have been away for a while. I have moved house from the East Midlands to Cornwall & have been busy busy!! I am currently sorting out my garden & getting it ready for growing vegetable's.

I have some land that I want to use for growing my vegetables & need some advice please. Would it be better to grow on open land or in a Poly-tunnel? I have always grown my vegetable's in open ground.

Also if I have a poly-tunnel do I still crop rotate as I would do in an open plot?

Many thanks :D

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi BB,

Hope the move went well. Now thats what I call dedication, moving 300 miles to extend the growing season.:thumbsup:

Are you talking about having the whole plot under cover or just a part of it?

3. BigBird

BigBird Gardener

Signaller
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello Ziggy!!

The move was hard work, but worth it!! Thanks for asking. Ooooo I am soooo dedicated when it comes to veg, but I am still a learner, but getting better. I thought coming to Cornwall would escape the frosts....mmm....but no!!:rolleyespink:

I was thinking of the whole plot. It's not a huge area & there is a stone wall near the site too.

4. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Stick with us, you'll soon learn how to mess things up like the rest of us :D:WINK1:

If it were me, and I only had a small plot then i'd go for a tunnel. Only thing is, during the summer its going to take some looking after as it will get hot in there,fine if you are growing tomatoes, peppers, aubergines, chillis etc But probably not so good for veg normally grown outside.

5. BigBird

BigBird Gardener

Signaller
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ha ha ha!!:D

I do want to grow normal veg as well as tomato's etc. I have been looking at poly-tunnels on the web & you can have them with side vents on both sides as well as the doors. Will this make it a better environment for normal veg, or would it be best to stick with the heat loving crops in the poly-tunnel & keep the rest in an open plot?

I must also note that I do have a polycarbonate greenhouse too (8 by 10 & got to build it yet), & also my neighbour has given me an area at the top of their garden for my veg too. They cannot manage it so I have offered to share the veg I grow & help to cut their grass in exchange. This area is all grass at the moment.

6. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, thats good that you've got some further outside growing space.

Things like spuds, cabbage & onions are better off outside (Saying that, a few plants of maincrop spuds in the tunnel could be an insurance against late blight, they are less likely to get it under cover)

Things that are of mediterranean origin would fare better undercover, blubbing fennel springs to mind along with french beans.( Beans are a perenial in warmer climes)

The ventilation, esp. the sides, is good, you will need that. I would consider a solar activated extractor fan too, for when you want to go away in the summer, and an irrigation system. You don't have to spend a lot. I'm sure we can talk thru building some stuff, like in Apollo 13 :thumbsup:

7. BigBird

BigBird Gardener

Signaller
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for that Ziggy!! :)

I would definitely like a solar activated extractor fan & a irrigation system. I like the idea of building too......that would be great if you have some plans & ideas to talk through. Easy plans please....Apollo 13 is just too technical me thinks :WINK1:

I have just posted some pictures of my veg garden project if you are interested. The poly-tunnel will probably go where the lean-to is. Got loads to do......but I am getting there & am enjoying doing it too :)

8. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Nope, tried to find your pics but can't.

This new board is confusing me.

Or is it the homebrew wine ?

Can you give us a link ?

9. BigBird

BigBird Gardener

Signaller
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ha ha ha!! It could be the home brew wine!! :heehee:

I have put a post under 'Garden Projects'. You should find my picture's on my post there. I will try put a link here......if I can remember how to do it!!:scratch:[hr]
    http://gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/Thread-My-garden-project--31112.html

I hope this works :)

10. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +45,630
    Good to see you back on here BigBird.
    Why don't you see how it goes in your first season just growing in the open ground. Theres so much that will grow all year round outside, If you do go for a poly-tunnel, then grow your toms/cucumbers in there - melons etc all the stuff you like during the w
    summer. In the autumn use it to extend the season and grow salad leaves over the winter. :dbgrtmb:
    Linky to BigBird's project & photos: http://gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/Thread-My-garden-project--31112.html?pid=407870#pid407870

11. BigBird

BigBird Gardener

Signaller
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks John, its good to be back :)

Great information too!! I think the first thing I need to do is finish sorting out the garden & see what I have left to work with. I do very much like the idea of a poly-tunnel though......but I will wait. I have to be patient & there is still plenty of time to decide.

I just can't wait to get my hands dirty!! :D

Thank you also for helping with the link to my Garden Project....not sure if my link is working :rolleyespink:

12. BigBird

BigBird Gardener

Signaller
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mmmmmm just been thinking....& yes it hurt!!:) Would it be better to put a poly-tunnel on the concrete pad??:what:
    I know I won't have soil to grow in, but I can grow in pots etc.
    Then I can have a outdoor growing area as well as indoor. Plus i have a small greenhouse too.

What would you all recommend please??:help:

13. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,698
    If you did, not only would you not have soil to grow in, but you would lose valuable height too. Also to be considered is that most polytunnels (that I have read about) use the fact that their covers are dug into soil to help keep them grounded and secure. I think it was Chopper who recently said here that basically a polytunnel is just a "big kite" waiting for a gust of wind.

Steve...:)

14. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,594
    When I was little my dad built a greenhouse using clear heavy gauge polythene sheeting and a very flimsy timber frame. I was not only allowed, but encouraged to go in it at my leisure to help look after the plants. The only, very strict rule was, NEVER leave the door open. One windy day, I went in, shut the door behind me, then realised I'd left something in the house. I came out, door left open because I'd only be a few minutes, came back just in time to see the whole thing literally burst open. A gust of wind entered the open door and just ripped it all to bits. I was in the bad books for a few hours that day:)

15. BigBird

BigBird Gardener

Signaller
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you for that valuable info :D

[hr]
    :heehee: I suppose I shouldn't laugh. But thank you also for the valuable info :D