OPINIONS PLEASE

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Garden sponge, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Garden sponge

Garden sponge Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't mind driving up north to go to the Harrogate show My daughter was at the army training college there so I've driven there several times only takes bout 3 hours I stayed at a bed and brekkie place that was run my a former England footy player very nice too (and the weatherspoon pub is ginormous). and being a horsey girl too waco I've been to the appleby trots and fair quite a few times too [​IMG]

2. PercyT

PercyT Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    very good idear GS, Like the badge idea too.

Might be nice to meet up and have a chat.

3. Garden sponge

Garden sponge Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    there are so many garden shows round the country I'm going to try and go to the county shows cos they mix up a bit of everything I get to watch something horsy and of gardening interest must try to stay out of the food halls, if anybody has any dates for the Harrogate and the Edenbrige and Oxted, Essex County shows would appreciate the info probably only going to Hampton Court for my biggie down south as I preferred it to Chelsea, and Im sure the Royal Welsh horse show had the gardening marquees there too. [​IMG]

4. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    I might travel up,but be prepared for Intelligence Quotient...that includes no Pretence,Malice or Bull****..... :rolleyes:

5. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    I understand as far as "but", but after that you've lost me, Pal - what do you mean??? That you don't carry a book under your arm? :D Hope your cold's better, btw......

Oh, and like your idea, Fran, let's have a comp to get a logo!!

6. Garden sponge

Garden sponge Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Another idea would be to plan a weekend trip where as many as possible met up for a weekend break to somewhere like the Eden Project!!!
    Or somewhere of similar interest.
    Love the badge logo idea as well ,Fran, [​IMG]

7. marge

marge Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Me too Dendy - cant get to grips with that one!

Love the idea of a logo - and a comp for it is a great idea [​IMG]

8. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    what about the gardeners world show in bham in june its central to everyone and its a really good show..i allways go its over 4 days so you have a choice of what day you want to go..and you can buy tickets in advance cheap..

9. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Or what about a Gardeners Corner show where we just meet up somewhere and swap all of our own plants. I'd love to see all of PeterS' spare plants, and I have got lots too. :D

10. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Birmingham seems to be the best central location for most people. Perhaps WF could give us some info.

I like the idea of a GC badge. Minimum order for nice metal (not plastic!!) lapel badges is 100. I'm sure we can manage that.
    Yes, let's run a competition for a GC logo which we can use for lapel badges, car stickers and anywhere else that we can think of.

11. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
  12. windy miller

windy miller Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  13. glenw

glenw Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    this years gardeners world live is on 13th -17th june at the NEC.see www.bbcgardenersworldlive.com
    tickets are �£16.50 on 14th and 15th, �£18.50 0n 13th,16th,17th. there is a �£1 discount for seniors and also offers of discounts for groups etc. there are often discount codes knocking around on the web and subscibers to gardners world magazine have also been given a discount code. i got mine today, it just says 'save up to �£4 in advance'

Ticket price includes entry into a celebrity demonstration, BUT excludes parking-usually another �£6 or so.

An alternative is the gardeners weekend in Kings Heath park. it is run by birmingham city council and this year is on 1st & 2nd september. ticket prices haven't been released yet but i think last year it was �£5 in advance and �£6 on the gate. this includes parking and a shuttle bus to the show, but parking is close enough to walk anyway.
    I have been to both shows a couple of times and personally prefer kings heath. it is not as big but as its outside it feels more 'gardeny'. there are plenty of stalls etc,demonstrations and a few show gardens. it also isn't as busy and the prices on the plants seems less too.
    hope all this is of help.

[ 24. January 2007, 03:57 PM: Message edited by: glenw ]

14. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +213
    ....with their hoes :eek: :eek: :eek:

15. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    I presume that's a follow up to HB's badge, BM?? IF so, definitely :eek: :eek: :eek: although rather better than ....with their secateurs...... [​IMG]

Birmingham sounds a sensible idea, as it is, after all, "The Midlands" :D