1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Orange ball buddleja (Buddleja globosa) not thriving

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by AndyTurtles, Sep 29, 2015.

Tags:
  1. AndyTurtles

AndyTurtles Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I took a cutting of an orange ball buddleja about two years ago. It didn't do much until I planted it up into a largish container (25L maybe?) in peat free compost this spring. Since then it's grown a lot, from probably about 20cm to 120cm but over the last few months many of the leaves have yellowed and grow seems to have stopped. It's had the odd bit of plant food and has been watered in dry spells.
    Is this just the plant slowing down a bit for the winter or should I water more, feed more, doing something else?
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Andy,
    If it was me I wouldn't feed it anymore, you have to remember that Buddleias grow in strange ( ? ) places such as brick walls where they receive hardly any nourishment. Looking at the new growth I would say it's ok as it looks healthy.
    I would just leave it now till the spring and let it wind down naturally for the winter.

• Like Like x 1
    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,836
      Hi Andy, well, I think you'll find the Buddleja has outgrown it's pot.:dunno: They're not really the kind of shrub to grow in a container as they can get to 9' to 10' in height and around 7' in width. As Anthony said they're very hardy, tough shrubs and you can nearly always find them making themselves at home on derelict buildings, old industrial estates, railway embankments. You can do two things either leave it in it's pot over the Winter and see how it does next year, or, in November/December replant it into the ground where there is some reasonable sunlight.:coffee::snork:

• Agree Agree x 3
        Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2015
      • AndyTurtles

AndyTurtles Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +0
        Thanks guys. Unfortunately I haven't anywhere else to put it so I've top dressed the pot with fresh compost and I'll see how it goes next year. Hopefully it won't die before I move to somewhere where I can put it in the ground!

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
        +100,836
        Well, when you prune it in Early Spring, cut it hard back to two or three shoots on each stem and then give it a general feed to keep it going. But you will, eventually, need to plant it somewhere:dunno::coffee::snork:

• merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,087
        If it's outgrown the pot it would benefit from root pruning, then potting into fresh compost and preferably in a bigger pot.

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
        +100,836
        One of the things about Buddleja's is that they take extremely easily from cuttings so you could always start another off in case the original one kicks the bucket......having said that since Buddleja's can be found unwanted and unloved on waste ground, old industrial sites, buildings, roofs, brickwork and gutters they are a hardy bunch. But, to be kind to the plant, try and find some space in the ground for it if you can.:coffee::snorky: