1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Orange spots on my garlic

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by beanie b12, Jun 11, 2008.

1. beanie b12

beanie b12 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I was wondering how you know when garlic is ready to harvest. I was looking today and the leaves are going yellow at the tip, but I also noticed some orange spots.
    Any ideas?

2. Flinty

Flinty Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    It seems a bit early for harvesting garlic - when did you plant them? The orange spots sound like rust although again, it seems a bit early in the season for it.

3. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Beanie, as Flinty says it is still early for harvesting garlic, it is a twelve month growing plant, also,the spots certainly sound like rust. You could try spraying with Systhane or Diathane945.

4. cattwoman25

cattwoman25 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi all i planted mine in october 07 i thought they would be ready this month or next at the latest so if they are a 12 month thing do i have to wait untill october ??

i have had a ferk aroung the stem and they are beginning to bulb up now they are the size of small garlic you buy in the supermarkets should it be much longer ???

also they are dry as nuns knickers but in my books it says not to water as they may start to rot so

to water or not to water is the question ??

5. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Not knowing what a nuns knickers look like, I`ve been watering mine, ( garlic, that is ).:D

6. takemore02withit

takemore02withit Gardener

Ratings:
    +40
    So the rumours are wrong then Dai ;):D 02

7. Damage

Damage Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    The old wives tale suggests that it should go in on the shortest day out come out on the longest. I have done this (more or less) for a couple of years and always get good results.

daitheplant....by doing a 6 month cycle like this am I missing out on something?

8. cattwoman25

cattwoman25 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  9. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Damage, shallots go in on the shortest day and out on the longest. Garlic goes in in September and out in August.:thumb::D And onion seed is traditionally sown on Boxing Day.:cool: