1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Orchid help please.

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Upsydaisy, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
    Ratings:
    +54,374
    Feel free admin to move my post as I wasn't sure we're to go with this.:dbgrtmb:

I am now ( trying) to look after my Dad's Dendrobium Orchid.It wasn't given the right environment or care really and has only bloomed once in 4years, however it was lovely and in full bloom when he received it.
    I only have Moth Orchids but nevertheless even I can see that it looks very poorly, can anyone offer me advice/ tips on what I should do with it. It has become thin stemmed and droopy in places.

IMG_20200713_134529_hdr.jpg

Also can you tell me if these are roots coming out of these new shoots...and if so can they be removed and potted up?? 15946455742771831329094.jpg

A bit dark I know but I wanted to have white as background to help show up the protruding ' rooty' bit.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  2. Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +54,374
    OK ,here's another shot...this one has 3 'rooty' bits.
    IMG_20200713_141322_hdr.jpg

3. Alisa

Alisa Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,575
    I had the same when I bought my dendrobium - it produced babies on the canes instead of the new growth next to mature canes. I would let them grow a bit bigger, spray roots with water twice a week and then pot them; it's what I did to mine. I mix pine orchid bark (small pieces) and sphagnum moss, and actually I had a peat-based compost added for a few years before I read that peat wasn't not good for orchids. Old mature plant can be potted into bark/moss mixture. Don't cut old canes away (just the ones that are absolutely dry), those are resources stock for young shoots. Plant can be let hanging freely (naturally, if enough space), or supported to stay vertical. If roots are not good, no worries, when plants produces new shoots, those gonna grow new roots. It can stay in the pot of the same size.
    I keep mine dendrobiums next to the west direction window. I water once a week letting the media to dry - exception for hot summer day, when I would spay on the top of the bark additionally in the middle of the week.
    It's cooler there in winter.

• Like Like x 3
    • Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
      +7,636
      Hi @Upsydaisy , either your Dendrobium is very poorly or it's preparing for a once-in-a-lifetime Halloween party ;)

Guesswork only, but the problem could be with old roots and the growing material decomposing, and blocking the air and water circulation with mushy, damp areas in the pot.

It might be good to buy proper orchid compost and a pot, lift the plant out and pull out any mushy bits, leaving just the healthy roots. Then re-pot in orchid compost and water gently until new shoots appear.

The links below are just to illustrate the thingies, not a recommendation. I saw both items in The Range for a pound or so (after I had paid much more in Amazon :doh:)

Orchid compost
      Orchid pot

Dendrobium is lovely, and well worth the hassle. Mine flowers around 6 months a year, first on the older stems and then on this year's growth. Then it has a little break and grows new shoots. A houseplant earning its keep certainly. :)

• Like Like x 3
      • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +54,374
        Thanks @Alisa and @Selleri . :)

I think it's downfall was it's environment at my Dad's as he felt the cold and his place was always kept ...well...hot!! Dendrobuims are happier in cool to moderate temps that much I knew. Did try moving it around his house but frankly the whole house was hot!!:heehee:

I do have proper compost that I use for my own Orchids and although Dad's is already in Orchid compost I have now re-potted with fresh.

I've been reading up on them this afternoon the little rooted tips are called a keikis and they can be removed and potted up , so I have just done this.

The roots are all fine on the main plant .:dbgrtmb:

So now it's a case of waiting with fingers crossed!!:fingers crossed: :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1