Orchid Palace: Kew's annual display of exotic plants, the perfect antidote to winter

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Hartley Botanic, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Hartley Botanic

Hartley Botanic Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/gar...ay-exotic-plants-perfect-antidote-winter.html

Every February, 120,000 visitors escape the frost to experience a winter warmer like no other -- an orchid oasis dripping with colour at the world's best-known botanic garden.

Around 5,500 of these exotic beauties create a breathtaking spectacle in the Princess of Wales Conservatory at the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, which opened its Tropical Extravaganza on Saturday.

This will be the 15th successive year that Kew has brightened up winter with an orchid pageant.

:)

2. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,013
    Thanks for that link Hartley. I would love to be close enough to see that. Or perhaps I just need a bigger greenhouse of my own. :D

3. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    We saw this a few yrs ago at Key Peters I must search for our photos .

I adore Orchids and have them growing indoors in my home.

4. Hartley Botanic

Hartley Botanic Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I planned to make it down there but getting to Kew is always such a pain on a weekend :(