Ordering Topsoil in advance

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by ric1982, Mar 19, 2021.

1. ric1982

ric1982 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,

This might be a stupied question so my apologies in advance.

Basically I am in procress of laying down land drain before putting new topsoil and turf in.

So first job is to lay down land drain and 2nd job then is to put top soil.There will be couple of weeks in between laying down the drain and putting top soil as I am working in part time on this project. My question is , if I order the gravel and topsoil together (in bulk bags) now to save delivery cost, how do I store top soil for couple weeks in the bag (if its possible). Can I just put some plastic or tarpaulin on top of the topsoil bag?

Thanks

2. Black Dog

Black Dog Gardener of useful things

It's a secret
    Ratings:
    +1,134
    The topsoil shouldn't really care if it sits in the bags for a few weeks. You might get a decline in microbiological activity and some of the worms (if there are any in it) might die because they are trapped in a non-ideal climate, but otherwise there won't be a lot of change in soil quality.

PS: most of the changes will revert to normal as soon as the soil sits in its final position and will equalize with the surroundings.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1