Organisation in greenhouse....any ideas?

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by busybee, Aug 15, 2009.

1. busybee

busybee Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I have only a mini greenhouse (a four tier one) but i was wondering if there is anything i can buy (or maybe you use something that proves to be very good) to help me organise my equipment (i have things like small plant pots for seedlings, secateurs, small knife, plant tape, seeds, gloves etc).

At the moment i have a small plastic basket that i put everything in but it gets all jumbled up so i can't really see what i have have. I'm not too sure where to start with trying to organise it all?

Thanks

2. Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +865
    Hi busybee, I'm surprised no-one has replied so far, so thought I'd put in my two penn'orth.

As you've only a mini greenhouse you'll want something 'cheap and cheerful' so for the pots I'd go for a bog standard cardboard box - depending on how many you've got of course, it could be anything from a shoe box upwards. My local Tesco have recently gone back to giving away those flat boxes which lettuce, cucumber, etc., come in and they're brilliant for storing all sorts of things.

For all the 'bits and bobs' of tools you need in a greenhouse (whatever its size) I made what I rather grandly christened 'the tidy'! Basically a shallow wooden box, the same size as a seed tray with a handle in the middle (check out this http://woodworking.about.com/od/woodworkingplansdesigns/ss/woodenToolbox.htm and you'll see the sort of thing I mean - if you scroll down to the second paragraph and click on the free woodworking plans you'll get the cutting list). Mine isn't as fancy as theirs, I just screwed it together, but small nails would work fine too. It's handy because I can take it around the garden with me too.

Unlike theirs though, I've jammed in things like old washing-up liquid containers, shampoo bottles etc., all with the tops cut off and rinsed out and thus each becomes a container for a particular item - the flatter shaped ones for secateurs, round ones for labels and pencils, rectangular ones for seeds and so on (because they're plastic it doesn't matter how muddy they get) and, for my gloves, there's a bit of string through the handle with a peg on it. Of course, you could just put the same stuff in a plastic seed tray.