1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Ornamental Cherry Tree - lack of Blossom

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Merton Cottage, May 6, 2010.

1. Merton Cottage

Merton Cottage Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Our ornamental cherry tree has always produced an abundance of blossom every spring but not this year. There was blossom but it was a fraction of the usual amount. The tree has also developed a "clump" in the middle (see photo) that is made up of lots of leaves and very small branches forming a dense area in the middle of the tree.

I would appreciate some advice as how to reinvigorate blossom production for next year and also some advice as what to do about the clump? :help:

2. boebrummie

boebrummie Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    how long as it been there, and is there much foilage around the base of the tree. if so clear around the base about 2 ft all around. and do you prune it. best todo in spring.

3. Merton Cottage

Merton Cottage Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your response boebrummie. The tree sits on a lawn with grass right up to the trunk. The tree has never been pruned.

4. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Hello Merton Cottage.
    It's been a cold winter and spring was late. I think your cherry buds have probably been nipped with frost this year and that's why you have poor flowering.
    Or you could have had dawn raids from the Bullfinches who will eat loads of buds.
    Or maybe those pesky sparrows who are happy to sit just pulling the buds off.
    Whatever way, your tree should be back to normal next year.

As for that tangle - you can just prune it out.

5. boebrummie

boebrummie Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    your welcome. but get some more info before following anything i say. as i,m not an expert and wouldnt want you to cause more harm than good.