1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Ornamental Grass Seed Annual ?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by HarryS, Dec 28, 2016.

1. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
    I am considering growing a few ornamental grasses from seed for next season . Now there is a wonderful selection to choose from , 6" tall grasses to towering 10 foot pampas grass . But as usual I am confused on one thing. The grasses are either annual or perennial . Does this mean the annual grass grows once and dies in winter never to be seen again, or do you cut it back to 3" in spring and it regrows afresh from the roots ?
    Perennial grass you just leave it and it continues growing ?

TIA

2. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    I hate pampas grass, once grown never rid of, sharp spiky leaves, i am no expert and have a few, I have a 5/6 ft miscanthus up a hard to get at corner, as you say I cut it back to 3" in spring, the "dead" fronds/tassels are lovely in winter. It needs splitting but can`t get into the clump, solid clump, I just keep leaving it to go it`s own way.
    I get confused :scratch: sometimes with the sedge grasses as some are very weed like and pull them out, then remember I bought it, :wallbanging:.
    i think they self seed a lot not sure about the annual/perennial part, most of them seem to be there all the time

• Like Like x 1
    • Lorea

Lorea Wine drinker

English teacher
      Ratings:
      +1,363
      I've got Stipa Tenuissima Harry, which is a perennial, but also seeds itself freely although the seedlings are easy to pull up. I love it - it's soft and fluffy and you can't resist running your hands through it when you walk past. I never cut it back, just pull out the dead growth in spring by using my hands to comb through it.

• Like Like x 1
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,991
        I think you can safely apply the wording Annual and Perennial in the same way to grasses as to any other plant you might grow from seed.
        Not really into grasses, but I cant help thinking Annuals will grow and seed then die, whereas Perennials will take the first year to establish and perhaps not look their best until year two or three.

• Like Like x 2
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +118,493
          We have a lot of 'grasses' but can't think of any of ours that are annuals. With ours there are different varieties, the ones that die back (get cut down) in the winter and those that remain evergreen (or black, or gold etc.) all year round.

You need to think of what height you want them (depends on how far back in the bed) and how big (circumference) you want. Some spread quickly but are easy to split. I'm not sure why you would want to bother to grow them from seed. It's quicker and easier to just buy them and they're usually tough as old boots so almost certainly will survive. Even easier is if you know people who have got them in their gardens as they're usually happy to split them for you.

We split ours and sell them at our Open Day and they're always sought after.

• Like Like x 2
          • HarryS

Retired
            Ratings:
            +16,246
            Well that applies to everything in the garden. Try telling that to our veggie growers :biggrin:
            I will be buying a few grown grass types , but would like to have a go at growing one or two from seed . There is a bewildering choice though , so I need to do some research.
            It's OK won't be growing Pampas grass . Someone has one a couple of streets down , it is huge must be 12 feet tall . You would need a JCB to remove it.

• Like Like x 2
            • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
              +0
              @Apple Blossom and I are the team for that :biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 2
              • HarryS

Retired
                Ratings:
                +16,246
                Well seems about time to start a few gardening posts , I think the EU and UK have just about been sorted by our team !:snork:
                The ornamental grasses I am growing from seed have all now germinated.
                Squirrel grass , Feathertop , Sirocco
                I will move them out to a cool greenhouse soon , and prick them out in about 10 days . Now to prick out single grass stalks is crazy . So if I prick them out in clumps , how many to a clump approx ? Rather blurry pic below shows Feathertop about 16 stalks , so that would make 1 clump say. The Squirrel grass has about 200 stalks so split into 4 ? Does this seem about right.

DSC_0030.JPG

• Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
                +0
                Hi Harry,

Although they look like single grass stalks now remember that each one will grow into a separate plant.
                I would prick them out so there are no more than three or four in each clump.

Also, are they all annuals or are there any perennials ? If there are any perennials, they would need to be grown on singly as you would with any other perennial plant grown from seed

• Like Like x 2
                • HarryS

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +16,246
                  Cheers @Anthony Rogers :blue thumb: The three types I am growing are annuals and perennials . I find these terms for grasses a little confusing . OK the perennial type will keep going . The annuals if cut back each early spring should re-emerge / reseed ? I'll see how it goes :smile:

• Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
                  +0
                  Hi Harry,

The terms are used the same for grass as any plant.

Annual = Any plant that germinates, grows, flowers, sets seed and dies within one year ( 12 month period ).

Perennial = Any plant that has a lifetime of longer than one year.

An annual that appears in the same place for more than one year has self-seeded. The original plant would have died.

• Like Like x 2