1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Oscillating multi tools - anyone know about these??

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Fat Controller, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,615
    Bit of a story, so bear with me :)

We have a solid oak sideboard (not English oak) which has a darkish (almost rosewood) finish to it that I believe is a staining wax rather than just a stain or a varnish. Anyway, over the years it has taken dogs abuse (think children with everything from chalks to pens to keys, and leaky pot plants and flower vases and you get the idea) and is now looking quite sorry for itself.

Now, despite being tatty, it is still perfectly serviceable and it is build like a brick ssssshhhhh..... outhouse; and in its day, it cost the thick end of a grand, so I am somewhat reluctant to consign it to the shed or even worse the dump.

So, I have a plan that when the weather picks up, I would like to get it emptied out, take it outside onto the patio, stick a gazebo up to give some protection and then sand it all right back to the bare wood and then either re-wax it, stain it or varnish it. The sander that I have currently is the cheapest of the cheapo cheap things from cheapsville, and is long overdue replacing - and if I am going to tackle this job I will need something a little more delicate than a fairly large orbital sander, not least as there are a few sunken panels on this sideboard that I will want to get right up to the edges of.

I started looking at detail sanders, however my eye then wandered to oscillating multi-tools as these seem to be almost all things to all men - I don't currently have an angle grinder, and to be honest I wouldn't really use one all that often to justify buying one - however, if one of these oscillating tools would stand up to the occasional cutting or grinding of metal, it might be just the very dab.

Does anyone here have one of these, or has used one of these can give me an insight as to what they can and cannot do and if they are any good?

2. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
  3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,004
    Some very sore fingers:biggrin:

4. Fat Controller

Public Transport
    Ratings:
    +49,615
    Thanks Harry :)

Thankfully, there is more plain flat wood than there is detail, but I don't see my current sander being up to the task.

Its not a great picture, but here it is when it was in our old house, to the right of the telly - its had another move and a couple of years of a hard life since this photo:

IMAG0001b.jpg

5. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    Caustic soda paint stripping of oak furniture can raise the grain of the wood.

6. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,004
    Cutting back to bare wood is never as easy as it might seem, its usual for the sand paper to clog very quickly, even if using mechanical devises.
    Is it veneered or solid?
    I'd be inclined to use a combination of stripper and sanding, but even then it might come out patchy when you re-stain, as its always difficult to get into the corners properly.

Think I'd leave it alone.:)
    Perhaps give it a wash down with some white spirit or meths and then buy a good quality wax furniture polish, and give it a couple of applications over a few days.

7. Fat Controller

Public Transport
    Ratings:
    +49,615
    Its solid, but I don't think the top coating is all that thick - part of the problem is that its gone right through to the wood on the top. I tried teak oil, a few coats over a couple of weeks, but it didn't help and left a sticky residue behind. I've not tried wax, but the top is so far gone that I don't think it would return to the correct colour (if that makes sense) even with prolonged waxing?

Given that the colour of it seems to be the wax or coating it had when made, I very much doubt that I will ever get it back to the same colour again, so I was thinking more along the lines of a few coats of yacht varnish and just leaving it natural colour? The thinking there was that the yacht varnish finish would be much harder wearing - but, I am not sure if it would be over-glossy?

8. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,004
    I wouldn't use yacht varnish.
    Polyurethane, (can you still get that), would be better.

I'm guessing its stained and marks and scratches have gone through the stain.
    Its always difficult to sort that kind of thing as oak is actually quite pale, but always seems to get stained dark.

If you are determined to sand it all back and re stain, dont let me stop you, you probably have more patience for that kind of thing than I do.:)

9. Fat Controller

Public Transport
    Ratings:
    +49,615
    I'd rather sit on my rear end drinking Bacardi if truth be told :snork: , but I have been promising to do something with this sideboard for at least two or three years, so I best get my finger out at some point.

Polyurethane is still available from Ronseal and interestingly, its available in a satin finish too, which I would prefer.

There is of course a lot more contemplation to be done before the job begins, and that may require a few glasses of something alcoholic to assist the planning process......

• Like Like x 1
    • pete

Retired
      Ratings:
      +86,004
      Perhaps a coat of dark rum before the poly, just to bring back the colour, would work.
      I think Bacardi is too watery to have much affect, so best drank.:biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
      • Fat Controller

Public Transport
        Ratings:
        +49,615
        I best not get it from Tesco though Pete - I might end up with Red Rum! ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +52,610
          FC, I could solve your problem........Where shall I start the bidding! :)

Whatever you do don't use a stripper, it will ruin the wood! Sanding is the best way to go. I've used Ronseal colour varnish, satin finish (20 minutes to dry) on all the woodwork in my home. Satin has a soft sheen and will be ideal for your sideboard. Below are a couple of pictures, all the wood had three coats in Dark Oak which is not far off the colour of your sideboard.....and of course it will mellow with age.

063.JPG

089.JPG