Our Poorly Rose ........ Please Help !!!!

Discussion in 'Roses' started by Steve Church, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Steve Church

Steve Church Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All
    I've joined this forum in the hope that someone can shed some light on our poorly rose issue. I bought four of these roses from a reputable website some nine years ago as a memory to my wife's Grandmother Phylis. I scoured the internet and found the 'Phylis' Rose and bought four of them, one for my wife and one each for my mother-in-law and my wife's uncle and her brother. Until this year, our rose has been doing the best of all and each being very healthy and flowering throughout the summer. But then this year our rose has turned very poorly looking as can be seen in the photos attached.
    Instead of an abundance of leaves and then buds and blooms we have this short spikey looking growth all over. The stems of the plant look healthy but no leaves and certainly no buds.
    Now, neither of us are particularly good at gardening but we potter and deadhead etc. This rose has not been moved for at least five years and seemed to be flourishing.
    Please please please can someone tell me what's up.

Waiting with hope
    Steve

IMG_1071.JPG IMG_1072.JPG IMG_1073.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2018
  2. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +13,960
    That looks like classic weedkiller damage, Steve. Did some spray drift around that area, perhaps or a watering can used for weedkiller subsequently used to water the rose? If the plant is cossetted, it should pull through...roses are tough plants. Having said that, if the soil or compost has been contaminated it would be best to re-pot in fresh soil asap. It would grow a lot more happily in the ground, if you have a spot for it.

3. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,274
    Good morning @Steve Church its only my personal opinion but this is what Woo would do,to see what is alive or dead lightly scrape your finger nail on each cane if its green underneath its still alive,if its brown it needs removing(ie remove all dead wood)remove Rose from container,check roots, certainly needs new compost John Innes no 3.dispose of the old compost in a bag,please remove the blue slate this could be part of the problem,a new container would be a plus if possible,a photo of the roots would be useful ,put some crockery (drainage in the bottom of the container),and make sure you have the container raised up from the ground(ie on some bricks)if there are any other questions just ask my friend:smile: