1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Over use of the All IN ONE

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Eric Lai, May 18, 2022.

1. Eric Lai

Eric Lai Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi everyone

I had used some Westland Aftercut All In ONE in mid of March. IMG_8657.JPG

I read the instruction carefully and handled it with care. But I think I didn't spread it evenly enough and that's what my lawn looks like now. IMG_8648.JPG

What should I do now? I have sowed in early May over the dark area but it seems doesn't work. Should I remove the brown dry dead glass first? Or it will recover later? IMG_8655.JPG

Thank you very much

2. clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
    Ratings:
    +7,623
    Hi Eric,

The bare patch looks to be where a weed would have been - so the aftercut is doing its job - the grass will creep into the gap with time. Reseeding is always a bit risky unless you know the original mix for the lawn - you don't want a patch of grass that looks different to the rest of the lawn.

I wouldn't worry or do more than normal lawn maintenance. I used to scalp the lawn - but since raising the cut I ended up with a greener and more lush looking lawn - that still looks tidy.

I'm also looking to 'core' my lawn to reduce compaction and help the grass to grow.

A bit of caution around lawn feed - they usually contain a lot of nitrogen (or are only nitrogen) - so you get a nice green lawn but without the equivalent growth in roots to keep it green.

This year I used Phostrogen on my lawn - using one of those hose pipe feeders - it's done a good job.

• Like Like x 1
    • Eric Lai

Ratings:
      +1
      Thank you ~ raising the cut may be a good idea for me.
      But I would like to know what's 'corn' the lawn? I can't get it and am sorry for my poor English and gardening knowledge.

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,198
      Hi,

From the first picture it looks like the black patches you get when the Moss in the lawn is turned black, though your close up shots do look more like over dosing in those areas.

If this happened in the last few days, we would be tempted to put the hose pipe onto those black /brown areas to help wash aways any remains of the excess treatment

Then just treat the lawn as normal and it will after a good few weeks slowly grow back over those areas.

We have had similar problems with those granular fertilizers and now just use the weedlilers and or fertilizers that you add to a watering can, so much easier to apply and little chance of over dosing.

• Eric Lai

Ratings:
      +1
      Hi Ricky, you are right.
      Next time I will choose the liquid one

• clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
      Ratings:
      +7,623
      It means taking out small plugs of soil to ease compaction. As you walk on the lawn - or with time - the soil on the surface is compacted - this creates a barrier which slows down drainage and means that it is more difficult for water/nutrients to get down to the grass roots.

Some advocate sticking a fork in the lawn and wiggling it about to create holes - or walking around with spikes on your shoes - but this alone doesn't help with soil compaction.

Have a look on Youtube - there's loads of videos about it on there - there are also reviews of the kit that is used to core.

:smile::thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1