1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Overfeeding roses??

Discussion in 'Roses' started by Val.., Feb 11, 2011.

1. Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,951
    Does anyone know if it is possible to overfeed roses, a lot of rose problems seem to be associated with a shortage of something so why not give a liquid feed - in addition to the usual granular feed every time you water?

Val

2. music

music Memories Are Made Of This.

A Little Bit Of This And A Little Bit Of That.
    Ratings:
    +2,785
    Hi Gemini. As Far As I Know Overfeeding Can Burn The Roses:cry3:. the three big Nutrients for Roses Are Nitrogen, Phosphorous, Potassium. Nitrogen Promotes Green Growth .Phosphorous Promotes Strong Root Growth
    And Flowers. Potassium Required for Vigorous Growth.:dbgrtmb:. Personally I have A Miracle Gro Hose Feeder which i use every 7 to 14 days with the feeder attached with the Miracle Gro ingredient added. the hose is used as required after feeding:thumbsup:. This so far for me, has worked perfectly on my Roses and Most of the other plants and shrubs etc:dbgrtmb:.

3. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    You'd have to try pretty hard to over roses. But there's different needs for roses in containers than those that are in the ground. Those in the ground can get a better root run and have a better ability to search for moisture and food. I have a Kings Ransom rose [knocking to 30 years old] which is in sandy soil which was a choice of my wife's when we were just getting into gardening. It has never been spectacular in blooming or growth now matter how heavy I have fed it, either general, potash or phospate specific fertilisers. I have looked up it preferences and of course the word is that Kings Ransom doesn't like sandy soil, so we were fighting a losing battle there!! I have 3 difference climbing roses in poor soil by my pond where I can't use fertiliser because it might enter the water. They're happy to be left alone except for the annual trim. In the borders I have Uncle Walter, Crazy for You, Regensburg, Trumpeter, all in enriched, over the years, soil in the borders,Oh!, and a Masquerade climber on a south facing wall. They're all in different positions, good, very good and poor soils and they've all different in feeding requirement. | don't foliage feed as I like to get the liquid feed around the roots where it's benefit is more immediate but that's all down to preference. Container grown roses rely more on the gardener for their nutrient supply and the root run is more restricted reducing it's ability to absorb them. So long as you don't feed them with too much nitrogen I don't think you can really over-feed roses.