1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Overgrown flower (weed) beds - where to start??

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Jaja, Jun 12, 2020.

1. Jaja

Jaja Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Everyone - I'm new to the site and pretty new to gardening. I have moved from a little flat in London, with a tiny garden, to a small house in Scotland with lots of ground all of which is neglected and overgrown.
    I'm starting with the little courtyard at the back which is gravelled over but has flower beds. I'd like to plan these with some nice plants.The beds are completely overgrown with brambles, doc leaves and lots of other weeds . In the past I have dealt with weeds quickly, while they are small - by just pulling them out...but have never had to deal with the jungle that these beds have become.
    So, what's my best option?
    Dig out all the weeds as best I can, add some new compost and replant ?
    Spray full plants with weedkiller?
    Strim back and the spray fresh cuts with weed killer to kill the roots?
    Combo of all?
    Or something else entirely.
    There are some pretty deep rooted brambles, nettles and doc leaves. I imagine these will need to be treated in some way, but is it better to strim back first? or spray leaves/plant all over with weed killer?

I would greatly appreciate any advice anyone could offer.
    Thanks!

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    As the majority are pernicious weeds I would suggest you treat them with Resolva extra weedkiller. Welcome to the site by the way.

3. CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Retired Software engineer
    Ratings:
    +4,330
    Hi @Jaja and welcome! I'd agree with @daitheplant - although nettles are not too bad to pull out, as they tend to form growths near the surface and the roots aren't too strong, docks are murder - huge roots that need digging out completely. And brambles are probably even worse. They are in full growth now, so glyphosate based weedkiller like Resolva Xtra should hit them hard - but don't expect instant dieback. You need to be a bit patient for it to translocate down to the roots. Depending on how enthusiastic you are for digging everything out afterwards, I wouldn't treat too many borders at the same time!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • landimad

landimad Odd man rather than Land man

Retired Rail worker
      Ratings:
      +915
      My grass maybe good but the borders are full of bramble and nettles. I cannot bend over as I could a few years back. I have to be careful of the plants which I want to keep. If like most there is a way and that is to select the plant you wish to keep and surround it with a protective cover. Then spray or paint on the weedkiller to the rest. Hope this helps. IMG-20200518-WA0004.jpg

• Jaja

Jaja Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +1
      Hi, thanks all for the advice and the welcomes xx.
      I’ve treated all with a good dose of strong weed killer. Will play the waiting game now, then hopefully lots of digging and reclaiming the soil... probably late for replanting, we’ll see. Thanks again. Jaja xx

• Like Like x 1
      • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
        Ratings:
        +6,097
        Welcome to the forum. JaJa.

I must admit. I am not one for chemicals. Perhaps I may include landimad here. I'd be inclined to cut down so as to prevent any plants seeding. Then go for the brambles. Trace them back to their roots and cut them down to soil level, at the same time removing cut down material, as a precaution. Brambles in particular are expert at tip rooting.

To aid us back sufferers. How about sharpening that dutch hoe and using it to cut below the soil surface the stronger weeds, of course your spade will also do the job. Select a small area at a time. This way you will be able to see beyond the weeds etc and hopefully manage to salvage some worthwhile plants. Always remember to remove and bin or compost what you have destroyed.

• Jaja

Jaja Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +1
        Hi, thanks all. I’m going to let the weedkiller do its worst (sorry Mike I agree on the chemicals....but have made a pact with myself just this once them stay on top of it without the need for chems)
        Then maybe dig out the roots and all later to make the bed good.
        Thanks again everyone
        Xx