1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Overwintering Gaillardia

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Ockbrook_85, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Ockbrook_85

Ockbrook_85 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +13
    Hello all,

In early September, I sowed a packet of Gaillardia Goblin seeds. I now have many young plants in medium-sized seed/cell trays (each one approx. 20 cm tall) in an unheated greenhouse. However, they look a little limp, and are beginning to get a few yellow leaves, despite having fairly substantial roots showing through the base of the trays.

Should I now pot them on into larger pots, or can I leave them over the winter in the seed trays? When is a good time to plant these in the garden?
    Gaillardia.jpg

Many thanks,
    Rachael

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,594
    Welcome to Gardeners Corner Rachael. :)

Hmmm, sorry, but September was not the ideal time to start these off. :doh:They are usually sown during spring or early summer and to be honest I don't know how much chance they've got of surviving. At this time of year they will suffer from the cold as well as lack of light.

So, to give them a chance I would re-pot them individually in 3in, 7/8cm pots in fresh compost and water them sparingly over winter, just enough to keep the soil damp and don't feed them. In a cold greenhouse they will need some protection, perhaps you can make a cloche/tent with bubble wrap to keep in any heat and allow light through, or get hold of a polystyrene tray to put the pots in. I think the likelihood is you will lose the leaves as natural dieback but don't worry, the rooted base of the plant will hopefully get through to next spring if they are kept frost free. If they survive and start to re-shoot next spring, leave it until the end of May early June to plant out. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Ockbrook_85

Ratings:
      +13
      Hi Sheal,

Many thanks for your reply - that's really helpful. I've just finished re-potting the strongest looking plants so fingers crossed! I may try keeping a couple of plants in a cool indoor room over winter - hopefully something will survive!

Kind regards,
      Rachael

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Ockbrook_85

Ratings:
        +13
        Hi Sheal,

Just to update you, the Gaillardia survived the winter! I left them in the unheated greenhouse without any additional protection, and thanks to the mild winter every plant has made it through. Additionally, the plants kept in the house are also doing well. Unfortunately they're now battling a greenfly invasion, but hopefully they'll make it into the garden in the summer.

Thanks for your help,
        Rachael

• Like Like x 2
        • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
          Ratings:
          +30,611
          Welcome to the forum Rachael. I'm glad to hear that your Gallairdia survived the winter - but in an unheated greenhouse- wow. Mine would never survive without heat as our lows can get to minus 30's and we are still going below freezing here for another week or so.

You must be in a warmer zone than I? I didn't see any location on your profile. Perhaps you can add that, pretty please? It helps us help each other when we know what weather conditions are being battled. :)

• Like Like x 1
          • Ockbrook_85

Ratings:
            +13
            Hi CanadianLori!

Yes, I'm in the UK - we're only experiencing lows of around -3 which must have really helped their survival :-)

Rachael

• Like Like x 1
            • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +52,594
              It's great to hear the plants survived Rachael. :dbgrtmb: If you spray them with some washing up liquid diluted in water that should deal with the greenfly or any other aphids that may give you a problem.

Photo's of them in bloom later on would be a bonus please. :)

• Like Like x 2