Overwintering Young Standard Fuchsia

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by trogre, Oct 3, 2017.

1. trogre

trogre Gardener

Ratings:
    +279
    Hi All. I have been trying my hand at growing standard fuchsias this year. I got 5 on the go ranging from 30cm to about 38cm in height.
    When I overwinter my established standard I wrap the stem up,trim back to tidy up the stems and de-leaf.Come spring I will prune if necessary to keep shape etc.

Not really sure what to do with the young standards I am growing on to be bigger next year? No doubt the leaves on the young stem will fall off but not sure about the head.Obviously I want the growing tip to continue growing next spring but will that happen automatically or is there something I have to do?
    All of my fuchsias are kept in a dormant state overwinter so all the leaves fall or are stripped off.Surely the growing tip will automatically die off as normal?
    Thanks for any input.

• Like Like x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +84,360
      Only a bit of a Fuchsia grower myself but they are plants, and most plants do things in very similar ways.
      Fuschias like a lot of plants want to be bushes, so training is the key.
      Yes the top unripe wood may well die, but new shoots will come from lower down, you just select a strong growing one and pinch out all the others next spring.