1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Oyster Mushroom Kit (Suttons)

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Kristen, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Instructions don't seem that clear to me, first time I've tried it. Paraphrasing:

1. Make 5 x 2-3cm incisions in the plastic bag (containing substrate") and add 0.25L of water

2. After 2 weeks white pins appear

3. Make sure surface of substrate never dries out, spray at least once a day.

4. "clusters" appear from the white pins. Continue to spray the mushrooms daily to prevent drying out during fruiting

5. Harvest

6. Repeat. Make 5 new incisions in the plastic wrapper then from (3)

What's the purpose of the incisions, the mushrooms appear ONLY from there? (Some interaction with air perhaps?)

@ 1 - tap water OK?

@ 3 How do I keep the substrate sprayed moist? Its covered in plastic wrapper with only 2-3cm incisions for access :(

@ 4 Am I spraying the Mushrooms that are developing, still trying to spray the substrate as @ 3, or both? :( :(

@ 6 New incisions somewhere between the original ones presumably? Presumably would help if the first ones I made were with a plan for the secondary and tertiary etc ones?

How come the original slits don't interfere with this second/third crop? I mean... air will be getting in through there too?

(Happy to post the instructions verbatim if my paraphrasing is too precis'd)

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,077
    Sorry Kristen I don't know what the incisions are for.

Your post has some 'funny' hyperlinks tor forum users, I wonder what's causing that?

63swimmingcats ?? :dbgrtmb:

3. longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +23,089
    Several years ago I had a kit that came with impregnated dowels. You drilled holes in a lump of paper barked log and pushed the dowels in, kept it moistish and it worked! Not all the dowels seemed to be viable, but there were enough that over three years the whole (not literally) log was producing.
    Sods law - I forgot it when I moved!

4. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Hadn't noticed that, thanks for pointing it out. I expect the "@" had no following space, originally, and it assumed it was a reference to a User ID I suppose ...

I've re-edited it to tidy it up and make it make sense !

5. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
    63swimmingcats , what a great user name :hapfeet:! Obviously all drowned as they joined last year and never posted :snork: I think with some of the wierd user names on GC we must be getting some members from the cannabis forums !