Pachypodium lamerii.

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Sarraceniac, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I have a yen to try one of these but have a sneaking feeling (no make that definite feeling) that USDA zone 8b is not quite warm enough for it to sit out all year, even with fleece and getting Boss lady to regularly take it hot water bottles in winter. Anybody ever tried one and/or got any thoughts? [​IMG]

2. DaveP

DaveP Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    I've grown one John, but it is not a plant for wintering outside due to very high humidity coupled with low temperatures. The roots will rot if too moist and cool and the stems are also very prone to rotting below 5C.

Pachypodium lamerei is easy enough under glass in very bright conditions, but needs to be very dry as temperatures fall. It also seems to prefer fairly dry summer heat and even down here doesn't appear too happy when placed out of doors for the summer. Chances of it surviving let alone growing on the east Yorkshire coast are virtually nil I'm afraid.

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,397
    This is mine last summer John, its not looking that good due to red spider, which I think I may be on top of now, no I'm not growing it as a pond plant. :D
    [​IMG]

It just came out for the pic and went straight back into the conservatory, I dont even put it outside in the summer months like I try to with most of my plants.

4. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks guys. It is as expected. May try it anyway as a house plant. Have to discuss it with the boss who thinks a Strelitzia alba would look better in the living room now the other BOP is too big. Me I like them spiky. :D

5. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    A regular supplier of mine who sells on eBay and is very good had one for �£6.25 plus �£2.25 shipping. As I had a voucher from eBay for �£2.50 it only cost �£6 so I thought I would risk it. Oh, that of course is plus the flowers, chocolates and dinner for 2 out I have e sneaking feeling I'm going to be paying for. :D