1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Palram vs Sunny vs Ebay/China Greenhouses

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by ricky101, Aug 29, 2021.

1. CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
    Ratings:
    +30,616
    @ricky101 I know that @gks is only teasing about the tie downs on a palram. You don't need those with these because you are supposed to have a base for them to keep the entire structure from blowing away. It won't burst apart, just moved about if not secured. I just used 2"x4" pressure treated wood to make a frame and screwed the base of the greenhouse into it after I had it fully assembled. I left gaps in the wood base at three of the corners so as to have a place to easily feed wires and water lines. If you're on soil, you could secure that wood frame into the ground, perhaps with rebar.

The first time I set one up, I screwed to the wooden base into my deck as well but I unscrewed the wooden base from the deck to shift the greenhouse to a better position and discovered that nothing moved without fastening them to the deck as well. They get pretty heavy when you've got lots hanging in there!

@gks I know you have huge greenhouses because you run a business but after reading your comments, you've got me curious. Are these structures just sitting on cement or wood pads without being bolted down or? :noidea:

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • CanadianLori

Battle Axe
      Ratings:
      +30,616
      They all seem to have the same gauge metal. The swing door is also something I really like.

oh, and @ricky101 you can easily download the assembly instructions from the sites of these sellers and manufacturers and that will give you a good idea of how they operate.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • gks

gks Total Gardener

Production Manager
        Ratings:
        +4,578
        The Glasshouse frames are bolted down on to solid concrete blocks, which we had to put a concrete foundation in first. With the polytunnels they used an auger to make holes, then straight poles were concreted in to the ground. The poles stick out about 3-4ft out of the ground, then you can adjust the height of the tunnel to suit when you attach the hoops. Some of our tunnels we use just for storage, like soil, peat etc etc, keeps it dry ready for the season. A couple of years ago I bolted a polytunnel against 40ft containers that are double stacked. Inside is pallet racking which I can put 100 pallets of stock under cover. Took me and two of my lads just under three days to complete.. Picture below

tunnel.jpg

• Like Like x 1
          Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
        • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
          +28,997
          Just what I need to stock up with peat based compost before it's only available to commercial growers :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
          • Funny Funny x 1
          • CanadianLori

Battle Axe
            Ratings:
            +30,616
            So if your structures weren't secured deeply into the ground and in heavy concrete or bolted to large containers, you would need to batten them down with bigger versions of those tie downs pictured, right? [​IMG]

No difference between them as far as structure stability. Yours are just bigger! :heehee:

• Like Like x 1